News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[devel-new 8243da4] Crash when loading a saved game

Started by Rollmaterial, November 21, 2015, 04:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

I don't have access to my usual computer this week-end as I am staying with my parents; however, that error message is common when the saved game is either corrupted or saved in an incompatible version. In which version was the game saved?

If the saved game is corrupted, I will not be able to work out the cause of the bug that caused it to be corrupted from looking at the saved game, as that is too late in the process to capture the problem; rather, I will need information on what happened when the game was saved to try to reproduce the actual corruption.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

It turns out I forgot some alterations when compiling the pakset. I then loaded the game and it worked, but after saving it, the described error happened when trying to reload it. I guess there's no way to repair it...

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

I play with some platforms allowed underground and bare platforms having a capacity of 5 passengers. I forgot to make the latter alteration before compiling.

Edit: Could it have something to do with the underground mechanical distant signal fix from yesterday?

---------------------------------------------

I just reproduced it with unaltered ffa3234 and 0960009 of the pak: first create a game in the former version and place an underground mechanical distant signal, then save it and reload it with the latter version. Then save it again. Now, reloading should crash the game.

jamespetts

I have not had time to look into this in detail, but this would suggest that there is a problem with loading a saved game with pre-signals replacing stop signals. Given that this issue appears to be quite complex to solve (I cannot find any immediate clues in the debugger as to the mechanism of this fault) and given that it is likely to arise extremely rarely, I will suggest a workaround at this stage rather than spend a great deal of time trying to fix it. The possible workarounds are:

(1) using the old pakset version, delete the signals that are of the type that change; or
(2) add entries in compat.tab to force all of the problem signals to become another type of signal, load the game, re-save it, then update the pakset, then remove the compat.tab entries again.

Apologies that this is a little convoluted, but I am afraid that compromises need to be made when it is largely just me doing the Experimental specific programming and much of the pakset development. However, this should at least enable you to continue with your saved game.

Rollmaterial

Thanks, but as I described, the save is already in the newer version and doesn't load in either of them. Compat.tab doesn't seem to help either...

jamespetts

I have found and fixed some errors in the .dat files with these signals - can you recompile the pakset and retest?

Rollmaterial

Quote from: jamespetts on November 30, 2015, 08:49:26 PM
I have found and fixed some errors in the .dat files with these signals - can you recompile the pakset and retest?
Doesn't work either... I'd conclude it's beyond repair. Anyway, I have resumed from a 10-day-older save I still had left from a previous bug report. I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time with this :)

jamespetts

Don't worry - sorry that you lost time on your game. You may want to think about making daily backups. Thank you for your report.