News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Next release?

Started by AP, November 22, 2015, 05:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi All

Been away a while, hope everyone's well. Seems like the game is progressing. Was just pondering starting a new offline map, wondering whether there is an imminent release with the new features worth waiting for (signalboxes, double height slopes etc) or if the June 2014 v11.35  & pak-gb 0.9.1 ones are still good for a while yet?

jamespetts

Welcome back! There is nothing imminent: my plan is to work hard at a number of balance critical features (of which there are a few, all of which challenging) so that I can begin balance testing after the next release. 11.35 and 0.9.1 will be the current releases for a while, for that reason.

Given the importance of balance, I hope that it will be considered to have been a worthwhile wait.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

gmc

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2015, 12:37:00 AM
Welcome back! There is nothing imminent: my plan is to work hard at a number of balance critical features (of which there are a few, all of which challenging) so that I can begin balance testing after the next release. 11.35 and 0.9.1 will be the current releases for a while, for that reason.

Given the importance of balance, I hope that it will be considered to have been a worthwhile wait.

I was wondering the same thing. After a one-year pause, i'm starting a new map again (4096x4096 with my own heightmap). Thought i'd give standard simutrans a go, has seen a few releases in the past years. However, I find out I just can't play standard simutrans anymore :) I miss all the goodies from -ex such as being able to schedule vehicles and such. I've just compiled myself a fresh -ex binary from master so i'm good to go again.

Out of curiosity though, is there any merging of the latest standard simutrans into -ex, or have they diverged too much by now for that to be possible?

Is there anything newer than master I could be playing?

Junna

Quote from: gmc on September 24, 2016, 07:06:42 PM
I was wondering the same thing. After a one-year pause, i'm starting a new map again (4096x4096 with my own heightmap). Thought i'd give standard simutrans a go, has seen a few releases in the past years. However, I find out I just can't play standard simutrans anymore :) I miss all the goodies from -ex such as being able to schedule vehicles and such. I've just compiled myself a fresh -ex binary from master so i'm good to go again.

Out of curiosity though, is there any merging of the latest standard simutrans into -ex, or have they diverged too much by now for that to be possible?

Is there anything newer than master I could be playing?

devel-new-2, if you want to play the current development build.

killwater

Just for people who cannot compile themselves and strayed into this topic: there are some compiled packages available here: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/
These as I understand are unofficial, unstable builds that can cause all kinds of disasters from corrupting your save games to killing your hamster to name just few. You have been warned.

Download these files for Windows:
1. pak128.Britain-Ex.zip
2. simutrans-files.zip
3. Devel-new-builds/ Simutrans-Experimental_160922_41d2457.exe (or a newer one if available)

Unpack archives 1&  2. Copy  folder 1 & file 3 into folder 2. Have fun.
From time to time it is good to get a fresh copy because there is heavy development a\. Remember to make a backup of your savegame before using with newer version.

Common problems:
- Error containing too many cityroads something something - search simutrans folder for file deafult.sve or something like that. Then delete it.
- File pthread something .dll missing - get it from here ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/prebuilt-dll-2-9-1-release/dll/x86/ and put into your simutrans folder
- Severe stomachache, feeling of hunger and dehydration - take a brake from playing - one is not supposed to play for more than 18h without a minimum of 7.4 minute break for a hot meal, some drink and a brief nap (general guidance only - actual performance may vary).
- Thunderstrike hitting you form heavens - you probably forgot to report a bug on the forum...

Please note this works for me - does not mean it will work for everyone as different hardware and software may be a problem.

Vladki

And there is a linux binary as well on the above mentioned server.

Ves

There is in fact two versions of the base files. The one that killwater mentioned and there is also a base folder inside the devel-new-builds folder. If you miss something in one folder, try downloading the other one.

jamespetts

I am still working on development, which unfortunately is somewhat slow going as there is at present only me doing the coding. It is very hard to predict how long that any given project can take (as fixing bugs can take literally hundreds of times longer than adding the features in which the bugs are found, and the number of bugs introduced with every new feature is entirely indeterminate), but the plan is to make the next official release when the game is ready to be balanced so that the next work can be on balancing.

In the meantime, however, the development version can be played (subject to the caveats that there may be bugs and changes that make it difficult or impossible to use older saved games in newer versions, although the latter is less likely than it used to be) using the binaries helpfully provided by the community.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Diatera

Hi there.
I am new to this community and just admire the great work you guys are doing.
But I want to ask you guys when you approximately are going to release a new experimental version that supports "double height slopes".
It would be great to here from you guys
Thanks

jamespetts

Welcome to the community! It is always good to see new people.

For the reasons given in the post immediately above, it is impossible to give any meaningful prediction as to the timescale of the next official release. However, as also stated in that post, there are community provided binaries that you can play now, which do support half height slopes, if you do not mind playing the game in a somewhat unfinished state.

Diatera

Ok so how can i do that.

jamespetts