News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Upgrade station?

Started by Herocrafter, February 14, 2009, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herocrafter

Is it possible to upgrade a station?  That is, keep the station in the same spot and keep its name and all the routes that stop there and upgrade the station, say from a one bench mail stop to a two bench mail stop without having to destroy nearby buildings/rearrange roads and place a second stop then delete the first and replace it w/ the stop you want then destroy the other stop you just built and reconfigure the roadway back the way it was?
WE ARE
PENN STATE

Stubbsy

Not atm what i know of, although this would be very very useful and make life easier.

VS

Uff...? Your 4-line sentence confuses me :D

If you want to just "overbuild" stations, like ways, then the answer is no, building one thing over another this way does not work - only for ways (track, road). Also you can not bypass the need for another tile of station - you can not remove the last tile of station and keep it in existence.

Anyway, how:

If it is a rail station, it probably has more than one tile. So the trick is - you must never destroy it completely. Demolish one tile, build there the new platform, demolish second tile, build new platform... schedule are coordinate based, so after reconstruction they point to the same station, even if for a moment the tile is "nothing".

If it is a bus/truck stop. Assuming you can build any kind of station/stop that it is connected to the original tile, the station entity is preserved and you can do the same as with rail station. Add "holder" (some cheap station part), demolish old tile, build new, remove "holder" again if you want. (In pak128 are these parking extensions that are suited well for this task.)

If it is a dock,... at this point you should know enough to figure it yourself :) Build some "holder", remove old, build new, dispose of holder if you want to.

Make sure that during construction you keep the station as one entity - build everything next to tiles that belong to the station (one station = one name banner). Otherwise it goes south, like one half of platform being different station :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

I came out with this idea:
if i click with a station tool on a tile  with a compatible station (e.g. train/train, bus/bus, etc...) there could be a gui window showing the error and asking whether the player wants to replace that station tile with the new one.
A lower cost could be also considered (e.g. new station cost - old station cost/2).
something like:

This tile already contains a station. What do you want to do?

• cancel
  • replace tile
  • replace all station tiles

MOD note: Moved to extension request.

Herocrafter

Thanks for the reply.  Even if its not the answer I hoped for.  These shorter sentences are easy to read.  However, they do not convey convoluted processes as such.  I found it most suitable  ;D

Fabio, how about just clicking on the station and have a upgrade button/link->choices? 
WE ARE
PENN STATE

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fabio

Quote from: Herocrafter on February 14, 2009, 10:20:16 PM
Fabio, how about just clicking on the station and have a upgrade button/link->choices? 
this is an idea, but the gui to select the new staion would be pretty tricky to make, i'm afraid.
but if possible, it would be VERY good!

Quote from: jamespetts on February 15, 2009, 11:03:22 AM
Fabio,

that's a good idea!
Thank you! now let's see if someone can try to patch it...
what's good with this method, it's that you already selected which new station you would like to use...

gerw

Quote from: fabio on February 14, 2009, 10:17:16 PM
This tile already contains a station. What do you want to do?

• cancel
  • replace tile
  • replace all station tiles
I think, that can be easily done. I will have a look at it soon.

Fabio

prissi

In reality an old station is either take out of a line and then destroyed and rebuilt or rebuilt in another place. Also popup and other bad things in UI design are not my favourites ...

By the way in more recent verysion the name should be kept anyway.

Fabio

on the contrary
1) a popup error window is already shown, so it would only be an enhanced version
2) although what you say is true about railways stations (but some are simply upgraded/refurbished), this doesn't apply to bus stops, where enhancements are often made on the place (e.g. adding a shelter, or a bench, etc...)

Dwachs

I would propose the following system:

A station can be built on top of another one (without gui interaction), if
== it belongs to the same way type (road, track etc)
== it enables the same or more good types (mail, passengers, goods) as the existing station
== has equal or higher level

That is, upgrading is allowed, downgrading is not.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Fabio

whoami

Requiring Shift-Click (Ctrl-Click is for different levels; these both could be swapped) to replace the existing station tile would allow to upgrade and downgrade, and would also prevent accidental replacing.

Herocrafter

Wow!  You folks' enthusiam remind me of the mod makers of Egosofts X series (a niche, space sim favorite of mine)  :award:
WE ARE
PENN STATE

gerw

Mmh. I don't like the variant with shift+ctrl(+alt+...). I want to play just with two hands ;)