News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Password forgotten

Started by Meteor, December 12, 2015, 09:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meteor

Hi

So I am having an embarrasing problem. Im playing a multiplayer game with him and we have giant companies, but we had a months brake and in that time it seems I forgot my companies password  :-[ I tried every combination I thought was my password, but with no luck. I tried to google on how to make a password reset somehow (even from the server side) but with no luck. I also tried to find it on this forum but again, no luck. So I am posting this. Is it possible to somehow save my company and remove/reset the password?

Thank you in advance

DrSuperGood

QuoteIs it possible to somehow save my company and remove/reset the password?
There should be a server command to do this. You need to connect to the server and issue it for the company slot. You can also delete the server password file to reset all passwords, since the file contains the hash of all passwords for each company.

If you do not own the server, ask the person who does.

Meteor

Thanks for the quick reply.

We found the password file, deleted it but the saved game still has the companies password protected. I cant find the server commands and how to use them. Could you please post me a link or a quick guide on what and how to use the password reset command?

Thank you in advance

prissi

Stop the server. Delete the hash file with the password. Start the server. THat shoudl remove all passwords. Otherwise the admin (public player) can change to any company he likes and set a new password as if it has never been locked for him.

Meteor

We had to delete the hash file while the server was running and save the game. But that did the trick. Thanks for the help all!  :)

Niek van Stee

where is this hash file located? i cant find anything useful related to passwords or hash in either my program files or my documents where all the saves are.

i found it in the saves eventually, it had no relation to the name of the saved game though, thats where it was throwing me for a loop.

DrSuperGood

It is located with the server auto save and called something like "server13353-pwdhash.sve" where the 13353 may be subject to different number based on which port you choose to run the server from.

TurfIt

The 'nettool' server admin program can remove the password from any player.
Otherwise, if you unlock the public player, then you can change the password on any other player. But this only works when offline for some reason...
And finally, removing the password hash file removes all passwords applied by the server from all players, but if the main save has passwords defined (they were set when offline), then they persist.

So, what a mess! nettool is the only simple/reliable method.

Meteor

It is a bit complicated. As I said, we only removed the passwords when the server was running (only admin was logged), he removed the hash file while the server was up and than save it. Just removing the file, while the server was offline didnt work because somehow, Simutrans generated the file back when the game was loaded. Not sure how thats possible, than again Im a newbie to Simutrans...