News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Pasting passwords

Started by TurfIt, January 10, 2016, 02:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurfIt

Pasting a password into the password dialog for an online game does not work. Unless the password was set by pasting it in the first place; Then manually typing the password in the dialog doesn't work.

Ters

Sounds like the typical scenario where the newline character, or other surrounding characters, was included when copying the password.

Dwachs

Cannot reproduce this under linux.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Yona-TYT

Copy and paste does not work in Linux (only within of simutrans).
Although there are no problems when wine is used.

DrSuperGood

The password field should probably strip all control and invisible characters except "space". I do not know of any passwords where characters like "new line" or "carriage return" are part of the password.

Although not recommended, I would just advise using a simple password you can remember and type easilly. These are simutrans servers, not your bank account. It just has to be complex enough that some random player cannot guess it instantly ("1234" is no, but "asdf" is yes and believe me I have used "1234" before for servers I do not really care about). Sure a password cracker could probably get such common ones but honestly who one earth will run on of those for a Simutrans server where the administrator can pop into your account at any time anyway.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 10, 2016, 03:17:30 PM
The password field should probably strip all control and invisible characters except "space". I do not know of any passwords where characters like "new line" or "carriage return" are part of the password.

Then just think how unguessable a password consisting of carriage returns, newlines, tabs and backspaces is.

But in the end, the only serious argument I can think of against doing such filtering, is that it makes it impossible to log into existing accounts that already contain such characters. If indeed this is the problem.

DrSuperGood

it impossible to log into existing accounts that already contain such characters.
In which case I guess they would have to ask the server administrator for a password reset, or they would have to change into the slot from public service and modify the password.

prissi

Even when pasting, backspace will add like typing, i.e. characters will be copied one by one. The only thing different may be ASCII>127, which may be copied as ANSI but simutrans internally handles as UTF8.

TurfIt

Seems like newline is the winner. Depending on which text editor/viewer I use to copy from, some add a newline, some don't. Explains the frustration of setting the password, testing it works, using it several times by pasting, then suddenly it not working. So then lets consider this an extension request: strip the newlines!

prissi

Actually strip anything below 32, tabs does not belong into passwords either.

Ters

I've never seen anything actually add a newline when copying. They usually just extend the selection to include the newline if you select the entire line, which is so that you end up pasting an entire independent line as well, or it's just very easy to end up selecting the newline if you're not carefull. Microsoft programs, and programs using their standard components, loves to automatically add surrounding symbols that it thinks always belongs together with what you copy, when you use the mouse.