News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Doko Region (game started in April, 2012)

Started by zdwiakee, January 19, 2016, 03:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zdwiakee

Well, maybe it's time to post it somehow :)

For almost four years now my Simutrans game experience has been limited by one only savegame. It started in April, 2012, in our terms, or in January, 1945, in game terms. Time settings were tweaked heavily - the game year passes for about a week of rather heavy evening playing, so now it's only July, 1975. The goal of the game was not in any term to make money - public service is heavily used, both for city and way building. My aim was to design a cozy yet giant metropolis and suburbs and vast, smooth and reality-like transportation network. Even now many distant regions of the map are yet undeveloped, mainly due to heavy focusing on central city (Doko). I use Simutrans-Experimental 11.10 with some rather old Pak128 with many addons. One of rather interesting features of this savegame is maybe that I was using my own name-generating program both for citylist and for street names (with some manually added loanwords, of course). It made some rather awkward, but, without question, original toponyms. I never touched goods transportation (well, I have one experimental line somewhere, but it's of no use), focusing solely on passanger network.

There are also some problems, of course. Firstly, due to time tweaking (or, maybe, something else) cities are growing much too fast. So, further from central regions, villages very often consist of densely put skyscrapers, which looks really ugly. The work on rebuilding them is conducted, but very slowly, due to magnitude of the task. And the growth for already rebuilt cities is forbidden.

The second one is that I don't know how to share my savegame, due to messy and customized pak, which holds 666 MB! If someone has any suggestions on it, please share with me - I will gladly share the savegame!

The transportation network is heavily inspired by one I had the most acquaintance with, i.e. St. Petersburg (or, more precisely, Leningrad - without the terrible shrinkage of 90's-00's), with heavy focus on trams, which Leningrad was once proud of. Suburb trains, metro, trolleybuses, buses, ships and airports are also in the game.

This will be the top post, the geographical, sightseeing and transportation tours will follow very soon indeed, while I have my days off. Here so far is the first-glance map of Doko, the Capital City, and some nearest suburbs, and the photo of one of central places of the city, Monumentalu square, with Triumphal Arch and the monument for Hansjorg Malthaner :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ah, a player after my own heart — I never play for profit. Although I have never ever had the patience to grow a map that large or anything like it! Nice!

I'm not sure if this would be included in your version of Simutrans, but there is an option to prevent cities from growing. If you open the properties for the Town Hall:

http://i.imgur.com/xTWBYkE.png

And finally, for uploading: If you can use FTP/SFTP, I would be glad to create a place for you to upload (for anyone else seeing this, it's a general rule. We have plenty of space on the server for Simutrans...)

eklas

Nice world! I would love to see more screenshots in the future :)
Let's focus on the urban planning, guys.