News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Differences Between JIT1 and JIT2?

Started by The13thRonin, June 19, 2017, 01:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

Hi all.

I was wondering about the differences between Just in Time 1 and Just in Time 2? I tried to do a search but I couldn't seem to get a clear answer (it is highly possible that there is one around and I am just stupid though). Could anyone help me?

Also (bonus question) is there any setting or mod that would allow industries to grow their base production capacity if their supply was being met? For example:

A factory produces 200 bushels of wheat.
95% of this wheat is transported each month.
After a few months the factory starts producing 220 bushels of wheat.
The cycle repeats.

It would be cool if factories were dynamic like this.

Leartin

In JIT1, a consumer will constantly demand whatever good it consumes, and every piece of good the producer creates will go to the next station, often causing an endless stream of "station overcrowded"-messages. That is until the consumers storage is filled up. In that case, the demand will switch off and no new goods need to be transportet. Everything that's still on route would still go, filling the consumers storage even more. After a while, the consumer will have consumed enough so the storage is not filled anymore. Demand will switch on, and transport goes at full rate once again. So if you build too many vehicles, they might all transport goods, but at some point, there won't be anything to do for them, and they will just sit around doing nothing.

In JIT2, the consumer will try to demand as many goods as they actually need. So the amount of goods you can transport is not only capped by how much a producer produces, but by how much the consumer needs as well - whichever is less. The benefit is that the consumer won't fill up completely, so while you might only be able to transport a bit less, there won't be any weird pauses in transportation.

In a sense, JIT2 does what your bonus question is about, you just need to read the numbers differently. As in, the production per month is what COULD be produced by that producer, but since the demand is less then that, it doesn't. Only works in one direction though, since production per month is not directly increased with higher demand. (Indirectly is another - complicated - story, and I'm not sure I qualify for explaining that)

The13thRonin

Quote from: Leartin on June 19, 2017, 02:03:57 PM
In JIT1, a consumer will constantly demand whatever good it consumes, and every piece of good the producer creates will go to the next station, often causing an endless stream of "station overcrowded"-messages. That is until the consumers storage is filled up. In that case, the demand will switch off and no new goods need to be transportet. Everything that's still on route would still go, filling the consumers storage even more. After a while, the consumer will have consumed enough so the storage is not filled anymore. Demand will switch on, and transport goes at full rate once again. So if you build too many vehicles, they might all transport goods, but at some point, there won't be anything to do for them, and they will just sit around doing nothing.

In JIT2, the consumer will try to demand as many goods as they actually need. So the amount of goods you can transport is not only capped by how much a producer produces, but by how much the consumer needs as well - whichever is less. The benefit is that the consumer won't fill up completely, so while you might only be able to transport a bit less, there won't be any weird pauses in transportation.

In a sense, JIT2 does what your bonus question is about, you just need to read the numbers differently. As in, the production per month is what COULD be produced by that producer, but since the demand is less then that, it doesn't. Only works in one direction though, since production per month is not directly increased with higher demand. (Indirectly is another - complicated - story, and I'm not sure I qualify for explaining that)

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry but I am still finding this information hard to conceptualize.

Could you give me an in-game example?

I understood what you meant about JIT1 the train lines stopping due to too many resources being delivered to the factories (this has happened to me a lot) but then I got lost as to how JIT2 is different?

JIT seems to me to be like:

If I have a coal mine producing 500 coal a month and I deliver all of that coal every month to a powerplant that uses 400 coal a month and the powerplants max coal supply is 1000 after 10 months I will exceed the coal storage and until the coal is consumed (at a pretty slow rate) I cannot deliver more. Is this right for JIT1? How is JIT2 different in that example?

Leartin

JIT2 will, after a while, find out that the powerplant only needs 400 coal a month. Once that is established, the coal mine will only provide those 400 coal to be shipped to the power plant. Therefore, the powerplant can never overfill, so no pause will occur.
That's the idea at least. Since you have several producers and consumers, all of which might consume and produce more or less due to pax, post and electricity, you can imagine that JIT2 is slightly more complicated than that.

The13thRonin

Quote from: Leartin on June 19, 2017, 03:31:33 PM
JIT2 will, after a while, find out that the powerplant only needs 400 coal a month. Once that is established, the coal mine will only provide those 400 coal to be shipped to the power plant. Therefore, the powerplant can never overfill, so no pause will occur.
That's the idea at least. Since you have several producers and consumers, all of which might consume and produce more or less due to pax, post and electricity, you can imagine that JIT2 is slightly more complicated than that.

Will it work the other way? If I connect the coal mine that produces 500 coal to the powerplant needing 400 coal and another powerplant needing 400 coal will the coal mine grow to supply 800 units of coal a month?

DrSuperGood

QuoteWill it work the other way? If I connect the coal mine that produces 500 coal to the powerplant needing 400 coal and another powerplant needing 400 coal will the coal mine grow to supply 800 units of coal a month?
The coal mine will max out its production every month at 500 units per month. Both power plants will receive ~250 units of coal per month. Since this is not enough to keep operating at full efficiency they will only run part of the month (62.5% of the month to be exact).

I was planning on revising JIT2 eventually so that such under supply cases would cause the power plant to throttle back consumption to match the supply. This would mean it would run all the time but only produce 62.5% of its maximum output power. However this mechanic was never implemented.