News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Include SVG logo in release

Started by m.vanderwulp, March 14, 2015, 04:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.vanderwulp

There is no high resolution logo image in the zip files on sourceforge, to show on the desktop for the simutrans application.
Such image is needed to package simutrans for modern operating systems, and preferrably comes as a SVG file.

In the opensuse package, there is a svg taken from here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5918.0 - see attachment.
As you can see here: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/games/simutrans - the package builders have to include a separate svg file.

Can you please include a SVG logo in the zip files?

prissi

So far I though this was the official logo, which has less glitter and different, more stylish smoke.

Ters

I would have thought the logo should be like the icon we use. Square and without text, just bigger. Text is provided separately on all platforms I know about (which is limited), if text is present at all.

The current Windows ico file could also use more high-resolution, and full color, versions.

m.vanderwulp

There is no progress yet on this?

Please include the file I refered to previously in the simutrans zip.
I attached an optimised version of it here.

DrSuperGood

QuoteSuch image is needed to package simutrans for modern operating systems, and preferrably comes as a SVG file.
I do not understand the request... Icons from very old products (eg games from early 2000) still show up on Windows 10 desktop. Sure they are blurry due to upscaling from a very low resolution icon (for 98/XP desktop), but they still show.

According to modern development guidelines the actual icon chosen should be based on required size and DPI. This would mean that probably 10-20 different versions of the icon are needed.

Simutrans has recently been made high DPI aware. It is possible that the manifest may be extended to include new versions of icons for varying DPI and icon sizes.

m.vanderwulp

OK, i did not realize that I should have pointed out that in Linux, there is never an icon read from within the executable (like with Windows).
If you follow the link (https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/games/simutrans) you can see how Linux packaging works:
There is a single SVG icon, and the operating system scales it to whatever size needed depending on screen size and so on.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 06, 2016, 05:25:51 PM
Sure they are blurry due to upscaling from a very low resolution icon
That's a shame, isn't it?

Simutrans has recently been made high DPI aware.
If you are referring to my manifest, well, Simutrans is I guess aware of high DPI, but doesn't do anything about it (except tell Windows' DPI scaling hack to *** off).

It is possible that the manifest may be extended to include new versions of icons for varying DPI and icon sizes.
That has nothing to do with the manifest. The icon just needs more images, high-res images. Currently, it has 32x32 and 64x64, both 8-bit by the looks of it. I can't find anything indicating that Windows supports vector icons, so 256x256 are the biggest they get, although what I found seems to be about Windows Vista/7.

DrSuperGood

That has nothing to do with the manifest. The icon just needs more images, high-res images. Currently, it has 32x32 and 64x64, both 8-bit by the looks of it. I can't find anything indicating that Windows supports vector icons, so 256x256 are the biggest they get, although what I found seems to be about Windows Vista/7.
Purely vector icons are not really recommended for HCI purposes because they do not scale well. Sure they scale infinitely in theory but they scale so in a completely mathematical way which does not produce good visual results. Especially at lower DPI or for small icons it can be hard to resolve certain details if only a single vector image is used. Typefaces are an exception as some vector typeface formats have mechanics built in to assure accurate and clear reproduction at different scales and DPIs (they have levels of detail, and render hints).

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 06, 2016, 09:17:41 PM
Purely vector icons are not really recommended for HCI purposes because they do not scale well. Sure they scale infinitely in theory but they scale so in a completely mathematical way which does not produce good visual results. Especially at lower DPI or for small icons it can be hard to resolve certain details if only a single vector image is used. Typefaces are an exception as some vector typeface formats have mechanics built in to assure accurate and clear reproduction at different scales and DPIs (they have levels of detail, and render hints).

That makes sense, and Microsoft's icon guidelines pretty much state the same. I notice that my Linux box has png icons, with files for different sizes spread out over several directories, rather than combining all image sizes in a single ico file like Windows does.

m.vanderwulp

Quote from: Ters on February 06, 2016, 11:45:16 PM
That makes sense, and Microsoft's icon guidelines pretty much state the same. I notice that my Linux box has png icons, with files for different sizes spread out over several directories, rather than combining all image sizes in a single ico file like Windows does.

Does Simutrans show icons on your Linux box?
Where do they come from?
I can NOT find ANY icons in the released binary nor in the source files:

downloads.sourceforge.net/project/simutrans/simutrans/120-1-3/simulinux-i86-120-1-3.zip

downloads.sourceforge.net/project/simutrans/simutrans/120-1-3/simutrans-src-120-1-3.zip

I really need an icon. Any format or quality is better than none.

TurfIt

The 3 icons embedded in the Windows executables are present in the simutrans-src-120-1-3.zip file.  old.ico, simutrans.ico, and stormogg.ico.

prissi

The is not one compatible way to show an icon under Linux, since every graphic manager can do (and often does) his own way. Well, I added a .desktop file (which is hidden anyway) which need to be copied into the right location, together with an Icon. Maybe one could move this into the script which is invoked when stating simutrans the first time.