News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Classes 307 and 501 power supply conversions

Started by Rollmaterial, June 04, 2016, 06:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

I've been wondering whether classes 307 and 501 should be upgradable to their later electrification systems, so I added these upgrades to the respective .dat files: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByLSSg3gXTz-U3dudmVsMkF4aTQ&usp=sharing

The introduction and retirement dates as well as the obsolescence settings are changed accordingly. I've left the costs unchanged though, as I'm not sure how high they should be.

jamespetts

I had considered this, but had decided against it because actually upgrading from one type of electrification to another in the game would be very awkward indeed, as the upgraded units would not be able to travel on the same track as the non-upgraded units. This would mean that upgraded units would be able to enter the depot for upgrading, but would get stuck when they try to leave until the power was changed over to overhead AC, which could only be done after all of the units on the line in question had been replaced or modified.

Do you think this sort of upgrade process workable for ordinary players in practice? I can see it causing much confusion. I should be interested in others' views on the topic.

Incidentally, this would require new graphics, not just new .dat files, as the converted units changed in appearance.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

You're right with the confusion, so I think I'll just leave it here for everyone interested to enjoy and perhaps give the graphics a go at some point.

By the way, I've also been considering an unpowered version of the Class 325 couplable with diesels for unelectrified lines, with free upgrade to and from the powered one.

jamespetts

Quote from: Rollmaterial on June 06, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
By the way, I've also been considering an unpowered version of the Class 325 couplable with diesels for unelectrified lines, with free upgrade to and from the powered one.

Interesting - were they ever hauled by locomotives in reality?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

Quote from: jamespetts on June 06, 2016, 08:56:44 PM
Interesting - were they ever hauled by locomotives in reality?
Yes, that's precisely why they have buck-eye couplers. There are some pictures of loco-hauled 325s here and here.

jamespetts

Interesting - thank you for that. I am planning to allow for convoy re-assembly out of a depot (e.g. scheduled locomotive changes) in the code, so this is something to bear in mind for those purposes.

Rollmaterial

I have now added the 325 .dat files with the unpowered versions to the folder above. Both versions are freely upgradable between eachother and can be coupled together.

By the way, do you have plans to change the current traction mode system? Now the presence of an electric vehicle prevents the whole convoy from running on unelectrified way.

jamespetts

That may indeed have to be considered: an alternative would be to check whether it has any non-electric powered vehicle, rather than whether it has any electric vehicle.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on June 12, 2016, 05:19:04 PM
That may indeed have to be considered: an alternative would be to check whether it has any non-electric powered vehicle, rather than whether it has any electric vehicle.

This could allow for electro-diesels if either a dummy second unit was coded or it was made a two-part locomotive or something.

jamespetts

Quote from: Junna on July 08, 2016, 10:52:22 AM
This could allow for electro-diesels if either a dummy second unit was coded or it was made a two-part locomotive or something.

Given the recent influx of bi-mode vehicles to British railways, I do plan to code for electro-diesel one day, although this is a long way back in the very long queue of tasks.

Rollmaterial

I have added modified .dat files for the Mark 3 carriages as well as the Mark 2 DBSO to allow for various real-world uses that were not possible in the pakset:
-the HST Mark 3 buffet carriages can be coupled together as in some early Class 254 formations with two buffet carriages (https://autobritanniadotnet.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/hst-doncaster-e1436262845458.jpg)
-the Mark 3a buffet carriages can be coupled with a Mark 2 TSO as in Arriva Trains Wales' Premier formations until 2012
-the Mark 3a TSO can be coupled with a Mark 2 DBSO as in the Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street shuttle push-pull formations in the 1980's

Incidentally, the Class 460 centre motor has a typo in its coupling constraints.

jamespetts

I have fixed the error with the class 460 - thank you for the report.