News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Download links on website are broken

Started by River, September 14, 2016, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River

Hi,

De download links on the website (simutrans.com) don't work. i get a page not found on sourceforge.

River

IgorEliezer

I can confirm. It seems something went wrong with the string concatenation that generates the links. I get links such as https://sourceforge.net/projects/files/simutrans-online-install.exe/download, "/simutrans" is missing between "/projects" and "/files".

An_dz

Problem when I was converting from my working directory to the website. Should be fixed now. Thanks for the report.

prissi

While starting up my environment on my new computer I noted that the link on the webpage is wrong. The download link should go to the installer and not to some zip file. Whenever was that changed?

An_dz

When some AntiVirus software started to wrongly identify our installer as a virus.

prissi

Windows10 identifies all NSIS installer as virus. I just installed a new computer and 1/3 of the program (mostly recent versions of OpenSource programs.) I had to click twice that I trust them. But the zip-file is useless for any one clicking on the website without further instructions nowadays. Well, maybe Steam will solve that issue somewhat.

EDIT: It seems one can get a code certificate for OpenSource for about 15 EUR a year. I will further look into it.

DrSuperGood

Is it really a big deal to click details and allow the program to run? I am starting to think all these security certificates are one big scam lol.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 23, 2017, 01:11:27 AM
Is it really a big deal to click details and allow the program to run?
Apparently it is. I got a question about how to get rid of a "do you trust" dialog box that comes up when users try to start some of applications. All they have to do is click "Run". I guess the rationale could be not to teach users to trust things, because they seem to have two settings, trust everything and trust nothing. Users (including developers) don't read message boxes.

I am starting to think all these security certificates are one big scam lol.
Considering that users still have to accept signed programs and unsigned programs are not stopped by Windows, the signing does seem pointless. As already pointed out, users don't care whether they click "yes, run" to a signed or an unsigned application. They just get conditioned to click "Trust", "Run" or "Yes", otherwise, the computer remains a paperweight (which is even less useful now than they used to be). Requiring programs to be signed has however the unfortunate side-effect of shutting out a whole bunch of already existing, unmaintained, but still very useful or for some even essential software. There is also the question of whether the signing really gives the necessary trust, as valid private keys will become more valuable than anything else an indie developer or small software company possesses, and their ability to keep theirs secret is far from certain.

An_dz

Is it really a big deal to click details and allow the program to run?
Yes on Windows 8 & 10, the message only shows one button and to allow you need to click on a linked text, that does not look clickable and with a message that does not directly indicate such. On Win 10 some files are even deleted automatically.

And users blindly agree with what AVs say. Even on forums where people should technically be power users I still see people who don't understand what a false positive is.

Quote from: prissi on January 23, 2017, 12:18:59 AM
But the zip-file is useless for any one clicking on the website without further instructions nowadays.
Don't the zip include a pakset downloader? If you only download the zip it will ask for a pakset to download.

Edit:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0cb31863b2acf3ffa2a320d648fa3b2bdb228d53e36765fb4d4e41f85901939c/analysis/1485191054/
https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/0bepmg5tu2

Only one is matching the installer as virus. I also tested on Win10 and Windows Defender has not flagged it. I'm reverting.

prissi

Window unmarks the installer programs usually about two weeks after a release. (I read on some website it does so after about 100 people marked it trusted.) Still, if 15 EUR get us a trusted signature, then why not.

The other problem is, that you need administrator right just for writing to the program folder. Without that, simutrans would not need elevation and would not flagged at all.

Ters

Newer Windowses supports a per-user installation that doesn't require admin rights. It installs into the user directory someplace. One probably has to use Windows Installer for this. I've use WiX Toolset for this (there is/was however a bug related to being able to select between machine and user installation, and being able to specify a custom location).