News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Pak128 Server Now Online! Name: Pak128 Server Reborn

Started by supamon, August 29, 2016, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supamon

Hello!

I am a newfound fan of the Simutrans game, and recently I've gotten around to hosting a server. Now, I hope to be able to bring you all the wonderful multiplayer of pak128. Now, this is my first attempt at running a server, so for a few days, I'll be running the game with $1,000,000 starting money, a 3-tile station radius, and a few other tweaks to make it a bit easier.
Here is the IPv4 Address:
73.234.144.228 with port 13353.
I hope to see you soon!
If you have any tips or recommendations for the server, I'd be glad to hear them here. If you wish to contact me, you can add me on steam as "supamon" or simply message my account of the forum.

DrSuperGood

Now, this is my first attempt at running a server, so for a few days, I'll be running the game with $1,000,000 starting money, a 3-tile station radius, and a few other tweaks to make it a bit easier.
pak128 is already very easy though? All you need is pay_for_distance 0 and it is easy mode.

If you have any tips or recommendations for the server, I'd be glad to hear them here.
From past experiences on pak128 servers you may want to suggest the following...

No overly spread out stops. Some people love to cover a 50*50 or bigger tile city with a single stop to an airport because they are too lazy to deal with local transport. lazy people who want to play like that should not really play multiplayer.

No air. Although not obvious why one would want such a rule at the start, it becomes more and more obvious as time progresses. You can plonk down airports all over the map and make insane profit with only a tiny fraction of the effort people who build train lines spend. Even more important for industries as you really do not want people to be air freighting everything around the map. Unless you have such a rule, the game basically turns into airport simulator.

No terraforming water X tiles deep. People have the nasty habit of destroying lakes and seas to save money without this rule which turns the map into an ecological disaster.

No purposely blocking or reserving industries. Stops people moating around them.

No bulldozing city buildings unless absolutely necessary. Stops people destroying cities as removing city buildings "kills" population and undoes growth.

No cargo-bouncing. Only applies for pay for distance 0. Cargo bouncing is the act of purposely moving cargo repeatedly between remote stops just to rank up extra pay per unit. This is not the act of moving cargo around inefficiently which indirectly generates extra pay. As long as the person is not purposely adding extra distance just for money it does not count as cargo bouncing.

supamon

Hello DrSuperGood,

To address your first point: Yes, I understand it is possible to earn money, but I was hoping for a simple sandbox so I could see how many people are interested, and see if it would worth it to host 24/7.

To address your second point, or concerns rather, how do I enforce these rules? I understand that people can have a code of honor, but I can't figure out how to really ban/kick individuals who aren't playing fairly (not that I've SEEN any of course.)

Hopefully I can see you soon on my server.

River

Hi supamon,

GL wiht hosting your server. mine is wel populated and for pak 64 there is intrest. I hope you also draw a nice crowed. My server for now has almost/no rules and you can see that back in the transforming done. I do have some/little problems with reserving and blocking of industries. but yes some of the rules are a good idea.

if you whan to kick/ban people you need the nettool, it can be found here now: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15663.0

River

prissi

What I usually recommend is to increase terraforming costs in server games; otherwise richer trolls happened quite often.