News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Too biased for road vehicles?

Started by prissi, February 20, 2009, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I recently tried out pak128 again (r458) and at least in 1930 the prices for many goods are not very well balanced (like coal or steel). But most badly the game is too much biased towards trucks (of which I still need insane amounts ... ). There are two roads available to built which don't costs any maintenance but even the cheapest rail in 1ct per month. Also the running cost for a single truck is cheaper than for most of the engines (where the running costs for the vehicles must be added too). This is a long standing "error" in my opinion in pak128 and the recent rebalancing only made the game harder but did not improve the costs balance between rail and road.

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on February 20, 2009, 03:22:58 PM
the recent rebalancing (...) did not improve the costs balance between rail and road.
No it doesn't.
I'm not sure what you explain before... you mean trucks are in comparison much more expensive to run than trains?

Edit: Ahm, maybe you mean it's too focused on trucks. Well, just as you say, you need an insane quantity of them, so I tend to build trains instead. It's true that roads are quite cheap at very first of game, but IMHO that won't make a huge difference. Btw, trucks profit may have experienced a small rising, because of the balancing I made to push up buses profit in that early games.
I'll appreciate any other comments and advising on it  :)

prissi

Trains has become certainly more challenging, as it is nearly impossible to make money by a coal railway now.

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on February 20, 2009, 08:20:34 PM
Trains has become certainly more challenging, as it is nearly impossible to make money by a coal railway now.
Yes, I've got the same feeling (that rails give less profit). But it's strange, because train RCs are even lower than before, and very few people have complaint about it (maybe a couple, counting yourself). I can make some adjustments this weekend to make trains a little more profitable.
Btw, I'd like to make clear (I'll post this also in the balance post) that different vehicle types have NOT been leveled, I mean I've tried to balance trains, then road vehicles, then etc., separately.

prissi

Well, if the maintenance cost for the cheapest rail gets cheeper and the maintenance cost for the second cheapest road is higher than zero a more fair balancing might be achieved easily without touching any prices.