News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

When I select a bus stop, it crashes immediately after

Started by fam621, January 15, 2017, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

WHY IS IT CRASHING WHEN I TRY TO ADD A SINGLE BUS STOP?!?!?!?!?!?!? >:(

jamespetts

I am able to place 'bus stops without crashing the game. I will not be able to reproduce (and therefore fix) this issue unless you are able to give sufficient detail for me to be able to reproduce this problem reliably (i.e. a detailed set of things that you have to do to make it crash every time, including specifying (and uploading) the saved game in which this occurs, stating the type of 'bus stop and where you place it in order that the game crashes).

Also, please do not make your subject lines all capitals.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

jamespetts

I recall that your UK2 map already had 'bus stops, so it cannot be the case that it crashes every time that you attempted to add a 'bus stop. It must occur in some conditions and not others.

I have no chance at all of finding and fixing this problem unless you tell me what those conditions are.

You really do need to be as specific and detailed as possible when posting a bug report: it is simply not possible for me to find and fix a problem unless I know precisely how to reproduce it reliably.

Edit: I have just tested with the UK 2 map that you uploaded a while ago, and I am able to place a 'bus stop without the game crashing.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

Its when I attempt to place a bus stop. :/

jamespetts

You have already stated that; but, as I have already pointed out, it cannot be that it crashes any time that you have ever attempted to place a 'bus stop, since you have already done so successfully on your "UK 2" map as is evidenced by the fact that there are already 'bus stops placed.

Therefore, there must be additional information about when this occurs that you are not communicating. Without that information, I will not be able even to begin to work on this problem.

DrSuperGood

fam621 please mention which revision and build (OS/bit) of experimental you are using. Alternatively try the next nightly build to confirm the crash is still present.

fam621

I am using the build from the 13th of January 2017.

jamespetts

Can you answer the question that I have asked twice now: in what conditions does this crash occur? It cannot be in every possible condition, as you have already built 'bus stops: something must be different from the time when you successfully built the 'bus stops to now. I cannot begin to try to find and fix this problem unless you tell me what that is.

fam621

When I select the road tools, I then select the bus stop, immediately after it says its 'Simutrans Experimental is not responding' (has in its crashed).

jamespetts

This still does not explain what is different between now and the times that you successfully built the 'bus stops, which is what I am asking for. As written before, I cannot reproduce this. Until you give me enough detail to be able to reproduce this problem, I will not be able to fix it.

Does it only occur with a specific type of bus stop, for example?

fam621

Okay, all bus stops crash the game. It is probably because I have too much gamesaves in the save file.

jamespetts

Quote from: fam621 on January 15, 2017, 09:27:38 PM
Okay, all bus stops crash the game. It is probably because I have too much gamesaves in the save file.

The number of saved games is unlikely to be the issue, not least because I have a great number myself (and also it is quite unrelated to crashing when placing a 'bus stop).

You still have not told me what has changed since the last time that you successfully placed a 'bus stop.

fam621

The last time was 2 weeks ago or even more and I think its because KB. Its like, it does not crash in old saves. But, it crashes in more modern years (example 2012).

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which it does crash reliably?

(I am not sure what you mean by "because KB", I am afraid).

DrSuperGood

Try a clean install with a fresh download of experimental and a fresh download of its pakset (I assume 128 Britain?). Maybe the pakset has become corrupted in some way that the game cannot process bus stops anymore (the descriptor objects are wrong).

fam621

I just done that and guess what, IT CRASHED!

DrSuperGood

QuoteI just done that and guess what, IT CRASHED!
And "guess what", it does not crash when jamespetts, the project manager of Simutrans Experimental and primary developer, does what you said crashes.

We need to find out if the crash is caused by a programming error or some other cause. Once the cause is identified a solution can be worked on.

I would recommend posting your system specifications, this can rule out hardware or operating system compatibility problems. Additionally any detail as to with what it crashes might be useful. Such as is it due to an exception being raised (crash) or due to the application event queue not being queried (not responding)?

If you are using a multicore CPU try limiting Simutrans to a single processor unit. If you are using a singlecore CPU then maybe it is a multithreading problem in the game. If you are using a very old CPU it might be because the nightly builds use unsupported instructions only available on more modern CPUs.

fam621

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 16, 2017, 07:00:12 PM
And "guess what", it does not crash when jamespetts, the project manager of Simutrans Experimental and primary developer, does what you said crashes.

We need to find out if the crash is caused by a programming error or some other cause. Once the cause is identified a solution can be worked on.

I would recommend posting your system specifications, this can rule out hardware or operating system compatibility problems. Additionally any detail as to with what it crashes might be useful. Such as is it due to an exception being raised (crash) or due to the application event queue not being queried (not responding)?

If you are using a multicore CPU try limiting Simutrans to a single processor unit. If you are using a singlecore CPU then maybe it is a multithreading problem in the game. If you are using a very old CPU it might be because the nightly builds use unsupported instructions only available on more modern CPUs.

My specs for my PC are: Processor: Intel Core i3-3240T CPU @ 2.90GHz  2.90 GHz. System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor.

jamespetts

Thank you for sending me the saved game. Again, trying to place 'bus stops of both of the available types does not cause a crash. I am using a version built from the latest commits in devel-new-2. I wonder whether the difficulty might be caused by a bug already fixed in that version?

Did this only start occurring after you upgraded to the 13th of January version from an earlier version?

fam621

jamespetts

Splendid, glad that it is working now. Sorry that you had trouble.