News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Convoy helping icons

Started by isidoro, March 09, 2009, 02:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isidoro

One of the first thing a newbie faces is: ok, I've done everything as expected.  Why is the locomotive not loading, not moving, etc.

My idea is to have the possibility of placing standard icons on top of vehicles to inform the player about relevant issues regarding that convoy.  Those icons could be hidden/shown by pressing a certain key.  Possible uses:

• Not finding routes, instead of or in addtion to the standard messages
  • Not loading because the station has not enabled that type of goods
  • Marking upgrading vehicles with a green up arrow
  • Not loading because of an overcrowded station

Dwachs

There could be some new messages added for these cases:
Quote from: isidoro on March 09, 2009, 02:59:18 AM
  • Not loading because the station has not enabled that type of goods
  • Not loading because of an overcrowded station

I dont get the meaning of this:

• Marking upgrading vehicles with a green up arrow
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

This is an interesting idea, although I'm not sure about using the one for no route, as there's already a message, and a separate icon might look inconsistent and be confusing.

Dwachs, Isidoro's referring to the patch that he wrote for automatic replacement of vehicles.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

Yay! (Sues isidoro for IP theft) http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/05731.0/index.html

I would add to the list:
  • convoy is set to no load
  • convoy is set to be removed (these two are accessible from details window)
  • convoy is moving at less than 50% of max speed (overloaded engine)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

isidoro

Ooops!  So difficult to be original...

I prefer discreet icons with a transparent background over present messages.  In the style of "Transport giant" ones used for marking loaded vehicles.

VS

Well, I am glad that this is wanted/invented independently, since it means it's either a good idea or an obvious one :)

And the text messages are not really best, but certainly far better than nothing :) Icons (that can be hidden) are what I would imagine as ideal, too - namely because they obscure less.

At that time I did not know a thing about Simutrans code. Now I might try... of course if you want to, I will not protest since you "claimed" it first-

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

isidoro

@VS: all yours...

@prissi: "Better late than never"...   :D

z9999

This new feature is great. I can find a problem before "stucked" message, and playable;) Thank you.

[edit]
One question.
Airplanes don't show Loading (%i->%i%%)! tooltips.
Is that a bug or it is impossible to show ? Thanks.

prissi

Not really impossible, but they have their own virtual display_after. Will look at it.

EDIT: will work, but since the airplane shado images sometimes jumps, so will the tooltip inflight ...

z9999

Thank you. it is working well in r2381.