News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Game crashes when I zoom out

Started by accord2, February 22, 2017, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

My game crashes when I zoom out. In every game, but I send you a save file if you need. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fafw400otu5qs6/Elsingstoke%205.8.sve?dl=0 I am using the files update at the day 22/2
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I am, however, having some trouble reproducing this either with a debug or release build. Can you elaborate precisely the circumstances in which this is reproduced on your system - how far did you zoom out and in what position, and how long did it take to crash?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

It is normal but when I use the mouse wheel to zoom out it crashes instantly. It is like: I spin the wheel to zoom out and the game crashes. There is no time between, it doesn't zoom out either, the game just crashes at that instant.

jamespetts

That is very odd, since I cannot reproduce this, even with the build from the server. It is always the mouse wheel that I use to zoom.

May I ask - has this problem only started to occur recently? Does it occur only on this map? Can you reproduce it in Standard?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

accord2

I also crashes when using the in-game options to zoom out. In the version of yesterday it doesn't happen, but today I download today's version and it started happening, since the moment I tried for the first time. It even happens in the main menu map. What do you mean with standard?

Rollmaterial

Quote from: accord2 on February 22, 2017, 10:09:45 PM
What do you mean with standard?
The normal Simutrans game, which we commonly refer to as "Standard" as opposed to Extended.

accord2

Oh, I see. No, it only happens in extended. In standard everything works just fine.

jamespetts

That is very odd - I still cannot reproduce this with the .exe on the server to-day, I am afraid. Can you tell me more about your system specifications?

accord2

In today (23) version it keeps happening. I don't understand why, since the computer is the same as 21 and the days before, when it worked fine. My specifications are:
Processor 1.80 GHz, RAM 4GB System 64bits (x64) it is a Windows 10.

jamespetts

May I ask what sort of processor in particular?

Rollmaterial

In the latest nightly, attempting to zoom in general crashes. I have an Intel Core i7-4700HQ at 2,4 GHz.

jamespetts

What I will have to do is test whether this is caused by a recent change to the build specifications of the nightly builds, in particular whether telling the compiler to assume that people have at least a Pentium 4 (-march=pentium4) is causing these crashes. I have amended the configuration file on the server: can you test to-morrow to see whether this has alleviated the problem? If not, I will have to test whether another, similar change is responsible.

Can I also ask both of you to test the latest nightly build of Standard to see whether the problem can be reproduced there?

Rollmaterial

I couldn't start the latest Standard nightly, but a self-compiled Extended seems to work just fine.

jamespetts

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

May I ask what error that you get when starting the latest nightly version of Standard?

Rollmaterial

Just tested again, it was just a pakset issue. Standard works fine.

ConnieR68

I'm using a I7 too and the same happens when i try to zoom any direction. I'd say it might be a problem with the I7 in general.

jamespetts

I have an i7, albeit an earlier i7, so I do not think that the problem is general to all i7s. Welcome to the forum, incidentally, Connie, and sorry that you are having trouble. As with Rollermaterial, can I ask you to test again with the executable on the server to-morrow morning to see whether the problem has been fixed? If not, I will have to ask you to test again with a build the following day. (I am afraid that bug fixing is much slower when I cannot reproduce the problem myself).

accord2

QuoteMay I ask what sort of processor in particular?
AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics 1.80GHz

I tested again in today version and it works fine. Thank you :)

jamespetts

Thank you - that is most helpful. That means that the problem is indeed march=pentium4.

TurfIt

Quote from: jamespetts on February 24, 2017, 12:06:26 PM
Thank you - that is most helpful. That means that the problem is indeed march=pentium4.
I doubt it. Your executable crashes for me too, I can produce my own that work fine (sorta...)
Did you accompany -march=pentium4 with -mstackrealign as was suggested? Although lacking it I think that caused crashes on initial launch for some people, not on zooming, but 6.3.0 most likely behaves different than 5.3.0.

Also, with the pak128.Britain included in simutrans-extended-complete.zip, the power line bridges are corrupt. The asm code handles this better than the USE_C which completely goes nuts, especially after a rezoom/code. Could be the actual problem. (or other corrupt graphics - the powerline bridge was most in your face with USE_C)

jamespetts

The server build executable crashes when you use it? May I ask in what circumstances that it crashes, and whether this is a crash to desktop, a freeze or a crash with an internal Simutrans error message?

I did omit to add -mstackrelaign; I had not spotted the suggestion that this be added (or had forgotten about it). Do you think that this could have caused crashes for others even though it worked fine for me (with the executable from the server)?

As to the power line bridges - I do not fully understand the problem with these. I have seen white squares next to them before, but thought that this was an error in the .png files. Do you have any idea what is happening here? I have not altered the graphics code from Standard, and do not know how it works, so I really have no idea what this could be about.

Rollmaterial

The latest nightly works fine for me.