News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[patch] Select direction of station buildings

Started by z9999, January 15, 2009, 07:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z9999

This tool enables you to select direction of station buildings

Usage:
1. Press shift key and click station building icon on toolbar.
2. If station building has more than one layout, "select window" will open.
3. Choose layout and click button.
4. Click land where you want to build it.

If you close select window without select, it will be normal (auto) mode.
If you don't press shift key or layout is only one, it will be normal (auto) mode.

Problem:
You may need to click icon on toolbar twice to open select window.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sojo

"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

vilvoh

From my point of view, there's another big problem: the size of the window depends on the number of building rotations and the building dimensions. Don't get me wrong, the patch seems really helpful because sometimes, when you're going to place extension building you actually can't asure how it will be placed and which will be the final result.

In order to save screen space, why don't you implement a mechanism similar to an image gallery, in this case would be a rotations gallery. It would have three buttons: next rotation, previous rotation and select/use rotation (see image attached)

P.S: The image is just a composition for illustrating the explanation, I haven't used or modified the patch.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

z9999

Yes, I don't like big window, too.
But this is dialog, when you click one of buttons, window will be closed automatically.
I think number of click is important, your idea needs many clicks.

In fact, I like windowless like this, but prissi don't as below, and also this don't live with normal (auto) mode.
Click ... South
Shift click ... North
Ctrl click ... Eaat
Shift Ctrl click ... North

prissi

This needs some tweaking, as a parameter is passed not via the default string, which means this is not network save. But I will look into it.

z9999

Updated for r2310.

r2316:
ADD: (mainly z9999) rotation of extension buildings can be selected by clicking on tool with CNTRL

Thank you very much for your many work.
It is very nice that cursor can show its size like map editor tools.
Thanks.

whoami

Quote from: Bigtop on March 17, 2009, 09:47:46 PM
How do I install this?
This patch? You can't simply install it - please read this for more information. But it may be included in a nightly build.

prissi

Anything here is already in the trunk (and also in 102, just hold the control button when selecting a station extension building).

sojo

I have it tried. Thank you to all. Very nice.  :)
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

blitzmaster

very nice work done here - thank you!!

but: wouldn't it be more logical if the selecting of the direction would happen if you actually build the building? so clicking on the menu item for building, an then with ctrl holded the place where you want to build it... this way seems more intuitive to me

Dwachs

Quote from: blitzmaster on March 18, 2009, 05:08:44 PM
but: wouldn't it be more logical if the selecting of the direction would happen if you actually build the building? so clicking on the menu item for building, an then with ctrl holded the place where you want to build it... this way seems more intuitive to me

the ctrl-key is already used to select the upper level on a tile (aka building on a bridge vs building on ground).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

blitzmaster

okay, but what about uhsing the shift key in this case?  ;) :D