News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

distant/repeater signals

Started by Vladki, May 21, 2017, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I think I found a bug with distant/repeater signals.

Background: On czechoslovak railways, it sometimes happens that there are two distant signals for the same main signal. One is at the normal breaking distance, and another one (repeater) halfway between distant and main signal. This is used especially if the track has too many bends and the sighting distance of the main signal is too short. The distant and repeater have to show always the same aspect (caution/clear = yellow/green), just that the repeater shows a white light in addition to yellow/green).

I have made a savegame http://server.exp.simutrans.com/debug-saves/distant-repeater.sve, where you can find such repeater signal at (767,62). The repeater itself works fine, but the distant signal in rear does not. When you load the game, quickly pause it. You'll see that there is no reservation, and both distant and repeater are at caution. (The main signal is a choose signal at danger). When you unpause, a train from Smolenice will depart towards Bukova, and reserve the path up to the choose signal. At that moment the distant turns to clear - BUG - it should stay at caution. As the train approaches to distant signal, it will reserve path ahead of choose signal and repeater will turn to clear too. As the train proceeds and passes the choose signal, choose signal turns to danger, repeater to caution, but distant stays at clear - BUG - it should turn to caution as well. It finally turns to caution when the train reverses at Bukova and reserves path back to Smolenice.

I think that distant signals should show aspect according to the next signal ahead, unless it is a distant signal (is_presingal=1, aspects=2). If it is a distant signal, it should look further ahead until normal signal (that can show danger) is found.

And a question about distant signals in general. Is it necessary to specify working method for these? It is shown in info window, but not in the tooltip. I think it does not make sense for distant signals to have any working method.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report, and apologies for the delay in replying. Distant signals should have a working method specified, as the exact working may vary between methods.

As to the issue in question, may I ask whether there is any in-game economic/operational reason to have multiple distant signals in succession? This is relevant to the priority to which to give dealing with this issue.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Just as in real world - if the visibility of main signal is obstructed by corner, bridge or tunnel, then an extra distant / repeater signal is useful. However I agree that this is not a very high priority.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on June 04, 2017, 07:10:36 PM
Just as in real world - if the visibility of main signal is obstructed by corner, bridge or tunnel, then an extra distant / repeater signal is useful. However I agree that this is not a very high priority.

In that instance, what would be the function of the inner distant?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

It will make a difference probably only in the situation if distant signal was passed at caution, but the next block has been cleared soon after. If the main signal is behind some obstruction, the train will come nearly to full stop, before seeing the signal. A repeater would allow it to accelerate earlier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk