News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Trains stop loading cargo after some time

Started by MirceaKitsune, September 24, 2017, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MirceaKitsune

I'm noticing something very strange in one of my worlds; After a certain amount of time passes, trains will stop delivering cargo between two different location! I'm not touching anything to cause this... when a certain date is reached, the train will simply no longer load. I looked at the properties of the buildings, yet they do not indicate running out of any material either.

I'm attaching my save (multi-volume archive due to forum limits, extract both parts in the same folder then open as a 7zip) (backup link). It contains a train that's waiting in a station, refusing to load any more cargo after having worked successfully. The train on the line parallel to it currently works, but if you wait for a few months it too will stop delivering. Both of the trains are the ones seen at the sawmill in this screenshot:

TurfIt

Need to complete the production chain through the final end consumer - Shopping mall in this case.
The Goods factory is full of Planks and accepts no more. Need to also supply the Plastic and Steel to allow production of Consumer Goods, and then transport the Goods away too.
But there's no Steel connected to the Goods factory (likely because map too small), so this chain cannot function until industry growth occurs and hopefully gives the needed steel.

Ters

Or rather than wait for growth, you can build a steel sub-chain manually. That requires hooking the industries together with contracts.

MirceaKitsune

Thanks! I was thinking it must be something among those lines. However I kept looking at the building from which the station wasn't loading, assuming it was something wrong with it... didn't consider the destination might have been full at the other end, as indeed the shopping center doesn't have everything it needs to also run and complete the chain.

Does industry growth occur naturally, and can I speed up the process? As in, will new factories automatically spawn around the map at a certain point if I wait long enough?

Also how do I change contracts and hook industries together? From what I noticed, every factory will automatically point to every other factory that can supply it. I understand there might be more to that however.

Ters

Quote from: MirceaKitsune on September 25, 2017, 10:16:07 AM
Does industry growth occur naturally, and can I speed up the process? As in, will new factories automatically spawn around the map at a certain point if I wait long enough?

Industries spawn as population grows. Or you can force it with a map editing tool.

Quote from: MirceaKitsune on September 25, 2017, 10:16:07 AM
Also how do I change contracts and hook industries together? From what I noticed, every factory will automatically point to every other factory that can supply it. I understand there might be more to that however.

The default setting in Simutrans is for a factory to make contracts with just a few suppliers. Initially, it is probably about just as many as is required to keep it well supplied, but I'm not sure about the exact details. This causes spawning of suppliers if required. More contracts seem to appear as other suppliers is spawned by other consumers. You can use the map editing tools to force a contract upon a pair of factories that didn't create one initially. When building industries manually, you can choose whether to generate a complete chain from an end consumer with all contracts set up, or build it piece by piece and establish the contracts manually.

MirceaKitsune

Quote from: Ters on September 25, 2017, 03:30:47 PM
Industries spawn as population grows. Or you can force it with a map editing tool.

The default setting in Simutrans is for a factory to make contracts with just a few suppliers. Initially, it is probably about just as many as is required to keep it well supplied, but I'm not sure about the exact details. This causes spawning of suppliers if required. More contracts seem to appear as other suppliers is spawned by other consumers. You can use the map editing tools to force a contract upon a pair of factories that didn't create one initially. When building industries manually, you can choose whether to generate a complete chain from an end consumer with all contracts set up, or build it piece by piece and establish the contracts manually.

Thanks, that explains it. I didn't reach enough population growth to notice this yet... hopefully I will later on.