News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Public Garage

Started by ROCAMBOLER529, November 22, 2017, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCAMBOLER529

Play with multiple companies is funny but It isnt funny to change the company every time when i need to add more vehicles... So... What happen if It exist a public garage that can be used all the players without permission. Its the same with the routes & rail but in this case you cannot used the others vehicles that other player have almacenated.

The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

DrSuperGood

This idea has some merit. It would go great with convoy pooling, where all depots share a common pool of convoys the player owns.

Especially if it could be forced on owned depots it could help a lot with servers. Currently an area might contain 12 odd depots for road convoys due to each company needing at least 1. With this feature someone could use the depot of another company saving the city from being cluttered with depots.

Ters

Having a garage that can be used by all doesn't solve the problem you first present. The vehicle will still belong to the company you are currently playing as, so you still have to switch company first.

Leartin

It's a bad idea if you could just use other players depots willy-nilly. If the depot is in "my" area which I secured with player gates, it would provide a way to sneak behind that boundary. You could place a player gate right in front of the depot to protect your area from foreign use, but that only means a second player could still start a vehicle in that depot an completely block it from further use. At this point, I'm not sure if it could even be removed (though with common pool that might change)

What if instead, the public hand was allowed to place depots, which could be used by all players - except the public hand, naturally. This would mirror other "common" structures like stations, which also need to be public to be shared; the "make public" tool could be used to make a depot public without a need for actually switching to the public hand.

prissi

Depots are assumed to belong to the current player. A lot of internal checks would need to be added to allow this.

ROCAMBOLER529

Yeah very useful! For example in some server the admin add a public stop in each city to provide copy right convoy´s lines. So why not add a public garage in each city to provide the saturations of garages.

Ters

Quote from: ROCAMBOLER529 on December 02, 2017, 12:12:16 AM
So why not add a public garage in each city to provide the saturations of garages.

Like prissi said, because it is relatively difficult to program.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

In addition, if the main purpose is avoiding having to switch companies, it would need new functionality to pick a company to assign a convoi to; to support multiple companies' convois; to determine which companies a player might have control over...

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on December 02, 2017, 02:34:08 PM
it would need new functionality to pick a company to assign a convoi to; to support multiple companies' convois; to determine which companies a player might have control over...

isnt necesary... any company can buy a convoi and almacenated here. But if any other company want to use the garage he musnt touch the almacenated convoi of another company. The public service have the total control but it mustnt eliminate the garage if it exist some convois almacenated inside

Ters

Now the request is for everything except solving the original problem. As it now is, you still have to switch companies.

Vladki

What about switching to depot owner, when opening the depot window. Not in multi-player of course.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Vladki on December 03, 2017, 06:10:14 PM
What about switching to depot owner, when opening the depot window. Not in multi-player of course.

Of course not in multi-player or the server crash. The depot owner must be the public service, in a public rail or road & only the public service can eliminate the garage obiusly without convois almacenated.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

The originally stated issue was regarding the inconvenience of switching players; automatically switching players to the owner of a depot would solve that issue. It seems like this is something that has a MUCH greater chance of being implemented vs. multi-company depots.

isidoro

The same or similar behavior can be done for other objects, like vehicles.  In single player mode it's very uncomfortable to have to cycle all players until you get the one that owns the vehicle foreground window in order to operate the vehicle.

Ters

A potential problem with automatically switching player in some contexts, is that it might make it a bit confusing in those situations where the game can not automatically switch, or when the switch happens without the player realizing, depending on whether the player switch is local (not really a switch at all, you are just allowed to give commands to other companies' vehicles) or global.

If the change is local, you might be messing around with some vehicles belonging to company A. Your mind is then fully focused on A. Then you need to build some roads, and totally forget that the global context is still company B, so that the roads you build belongs to company B, not A as you intended.

If the change is global, you might be building a road as company A. Suddenly, a vehicle belonging to company B requires attention, so you do something with it, not thinking about the fact that by doing so, the game automatically switched player to company B. Then you go back to building the road, but you are now unintentionally building the road as company B, not A.

Both cases are caused by the game's player switching not necessarily aligning with the context switches in the player's mind.

Vladki

I have the same problem with switching pplayers and mind even now. Often building stuff as the wrong player. So it would not be any worse for me  if players are switched automatically.

Leartin

Quote from: isidoro on December 04, 2017, 11:31:46 PM
The same or similar behavior can be done for other objects, like vehicles.  In single player mode it's very uncomfortable to have to cycle all players until you get the one that owns the vehicle foreground window in order to operate the vehicle.

Wait - when you play yourself as several players at once, why wouldn't you leave the player select dialog open? I imagine one would be interested to see the current financial situation of all players, and switching would be much simpler than cycling.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Ters on December 05, 2017, 06:55:01 AM
A potential problem with automatically switching player in some contexts, is that it might make it a bit confusing in those situations where the game can not automatically switch, or when the switch happens without the player realizing, depending on whether the player switch is local (not really a switch at all, you are just allowed to give commands to other companies' vehicles) or global.

But why the game will be switch if you use a public garage?? Why must be an automatic change if you can do a manual change with the "P+" buttom or the K??

Quote from: Ters on December 05, 2017, 06:55:01 AM
If the change is local, you might be messing around with some vehicles belonging to company A. Your mind is then fully focused on A. Then you need to build some roads, and totally forget that the global context is still company B, so that the roads you build belongs to company B, not A as you intended.

But when the company B change his garage to public garage then the route below the garage change to public too and the company A can build more route since the garage without problems.

The same situation for the global context

Ters

Quote from: ROCAMBOLER529 on December 05, 2017, 05:45:43 PM
But when the company B change his garage to public garage then the route below the garage change to public too and the company A can build more route since the garage without problems.

I wasn't writing about changing the garage to public. I wasn't thinking about garages at, but about vehicle information windows. Although any window representing something belonging to one specific player would have the same problem.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Ters on December 05, 2017, 05:59:03 PM
I wasn't writing about changing the garage to public. I wasn't thinking about garages at, but about vehicle information windows. Although any window representing something belonging to one specific player would have the same problem.

Why did you think that any window that represent something belonging to a specific player would have the same problem?

Ters

Because when you interact with it, you will be that player, according to isidoro's proposal. The question is, which player are you in you mind and in the game when you stop interacting with that window. If those two don't match up, it can be a great source of frustration as well.

Vladki

Rocamboler, try to get back to your original request. You wrote that switching companies is bothering you. You proposed public garage to solve the problem. Others told you that implementing public garage is very very complicated or nearly impossible. I have proposed to switch companies automatically when you click on garage. Others agreed that such change is much more easier. Would that be a solution for you? (instead of public garage?)
Bear in mind that in real world, transport companies do not share garages.

As to switching companies on interaction with other objects, I would like that, especially for vehicles (convoys). I don't mind if that change is permanent or temporary.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Vladki on December 06, 2017, 07:47:19 AM
Rocamboler, try to get back to your original request. You wrote that switching companies is bothering you. You proposed public garage to solve the problem. Others told you that implementing public garage is very very complicated or nearly impossible. I have proposed to switch companies automatically when you click on garage. Others agreed that such change is much more easier. Would that be a solution for you? (instead of public garage?)
Bear in mind that in real world, transport companies do not share garages.

As to switching companies on interaction with other objects, I would like that, especially for vehicles (convoys). I don't mind if that change is permanent or temporary.

Srry.
If you said that the switching companies automatically (SCA) is the easier solution, im on it.