News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Warning to overflow of convoi IDs

Started by yoshi, March 22, 2009, 11:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoshi

I realised that there is no warning to the overflow of convoi IDs. When I tried to buy 8193rd convoi (under the default setting i.e. convoys = 8192), Simutrans just shut down. It would be good if there is a warning message, if you tried to buy 8193rd convoi...

whoami

Isaac Eiland-Hall

A map with 8192 convoys...... holy. cow. :D

EDIT: WAit.. wait... wait... A map with 8192 convoys - AND YOU STILL NEED MORE. Good grief! (I'm just amazed... hehehehe)

prissi

well, mazbe the default should be 32760 anyway ...

But a warning is possible. Same would go for just denz buzing a new one.

vilvoh

What about this one with the following sentence.... ::)

Leave the convoys alone, now!!!

Edit: sentence modified.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Vilvoh, just so that you know: that could be easily interpreted as insulting (at least I can imagine that instantly).

How much memory does that value eat anyway? 8B per item when aligned?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Spike

Quote from: VS on March 23, 2009, 03:20:37 PM
How much memory does that value eat anyway? 8B per item when aligned?

4, i think. It's just a table of pointers, which is used to implement the "tombstone" pattern to have checkable pointers (checkable if the object in question still exists).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone_(programming)

Edit:

If someone ever wondered what "quickstones" are, that's been a modification of this pattern, which is supposed to be faster. No idea if this is still in the current Simutrans code, but it was when I left it.

jamespetts

Quickstones are indeed used heavily in the current Simutrans code.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

THe new code will extend to 65530 and give a warning (and no new convoi) when handles are exceeded. Meaning the values will be gone from configuration files soon.

yoshi

Oh, thank you very much for your prompt work!