News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[ENDED GAME] Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map (no. 2)

Started by jamespetts, December 05, 2017, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperTimo

No worries James. Is the server run on a local machine? If so I have just bought some new RAM for my PC so I potentially have 2 x 4Gb DDR4 sticks I could send you if that helps with running the server?

jamespetts

Quote from: SuperTimo on March 30, 2019, 01:27:42 PM
No worries James. Is the server run on a local machine? If so I have just bought some new RAM for my PC so I potentially have 2 x 4Gb DDR4 sticks I could send you if that helps with running the server?

Thank you for the offer, but this is run on a VPS, so I am afraid some physical RAM will not assist. It is kind of you to offer, however.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Spenk009

Is there anything the community can do for you? Maybe a more premium plan aided by the people who follow and root for you?

jamespetts

It is more a matter of time in getting it sorted out - do I understand that it now fails consistently at every login attempt?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

The server tells me that it crashed most recently with a segfault, and that memory usage is currently at 92.5% for the Simutrans-Extended process alone.

jamespetts

I am able to get into the server having just tried now. The issue appears to be intermittent. The difficulty is that I am not entirely sure that it is lack of memory; there are, as noted above, some segmentation faults reported, but I have never been able to reproduce these in a debugging environment.

jamespetts

I have just ordered an upgrade from the hosting provider which will increase the available RAM from 6GB to 8GB. Whilst it is not entirely clear whether all the crashes are memory related, the server is clearly struggling with low RAM, and there are plans to make changes that might increase RAM consumption, so this is likely to be worthwhile even if the crashes are caused by something else. If they are caused by something else, this upgrade should confirm that.

There might be a short period of downtime while the server updates to the new settings.

jamespetts

The server is up and running again now. It seems more responsive from the command line at least.

SuperTimo

Since it's now 1948 are we all nationalised and James will take charge of all our companies?  ;)

jamespetts

Happily, we simulate an alternative reality where this did not occur!

SuperTimo

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature but every company seems to have taken a massive hit in passengers over the last two in game months.

As you can see here passenger numbers have dropped to less than 20% of their amount two months ago (it is nearly the end of the current month).

Here is another company to show its not just me experiencing this.

I know that a rise in car traffic is intended to be simulated around this time, but this seems a bit over the top.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I have identified t hat this is caused by a bug which prevents any passengers from being generated at all. I have now fixed the bug, and am about to restart the server to update it to the fixed version. My apologies.

Ves

Oh, that was good news for basicly all transport companies on the server!  :D

Ves

It appears as if the server is down. It doesnt show up in the (just restarted) server listing dialog, and can also not connect via the load game dialog.

jamespetts

There was a problem with the path explorer data saving: I have fixed the problem (I think - it is hard to test this comprehensively), updated the server to the fixed version and rolled back to a backup save that was not corrupt. The server should be back very shortly.

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

I have been working for the last few hours on trying to fix this - the work remains in progress.

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

I believe that I have fixed this now. As before, the bug would have caused saved game corruption, so I have had to restore the saved game from a recent backup. The server is in the process of rebuilding/restarting now.

SuperTimo

The server seems to be a lot quicker to unpause when joining. However I am finding a that it doesn't unpause for me when another player is trying to join, I am guessing that this is causing me to lose sync but the server doesn't boot me out. In this case I would leave the server and rejoin, but presumably someone else is having the same issue as after I rejoin after a couple of minutes someone attempts to join again causing the game to save and then not unpause. 

Rollmaterial

The long time when someone else is connecting is due to the sheer size of the save (~500 MB). Therefore I would like to ask the other players: what download speeds do you typically get?

SuperTimo

I usually get about 170Mbs from my ISP, and when I join the server it probably takes about 2 mins at most, the longest part being calculating paths. 

Ves

Sorry SuperTimo, that would be me! I am currently attempting to join the server since a bunch of minutes now.
If I understand the information right, I should have 100Mbps.
However, looking at the task manager, it is very very very lazy with its workload. Mostly it runs with 0, but every 10-15 seconds it generates a spike at 40kbps.
Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

For instance, interacting with this forum, it instantly creates a spike at >100kbps (the scale only goes up to that).

Rollmaterial

I seem to be experiencing the same as Ves as I have now observed occasional spikes of to 30 Mb/s while remaining in the 10-15 Mb/s range most of the time.

Ves

Joining the swedish servergame which is on another server immediatedly sends the graphs to >100kbps until the loading cycle is done and the game is established, so it is something with bridgewater-brunel server specifically.

I stopped the joining proces also now since it takes ages..

edit:
This time joining, it was much better, going from 6-8mbps and topping at around 22mbps.

jamespetts

Can I ask all of those who are having trouble with connecting to check whether their ISPs have any sort of traffic shaping policy or similar? I have not ever had this problem when connecting (I use Zen in the UK, which is a well reputed ISP), and the server is not self-hosted, but remotely hosted in the UK.

SuperTimo

I'm having some trouble connecting to the server this morning. I am able to load in but then lose synchronisation immediately. I tried downloading the full package of the nightly build but that has not helped.

In addition this I ran the server save offline for a while which caused a crash to desktop after a couple of minutes, not sure what the cause of that was though.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Can I ask whether you were able to remain connected successfully yesterday?

SuperTimo

Yesterday I was connected for long periods although I did suffer de-sync occasionally. 

jamespetts

Quote from: SuperTimo on April 14, 2019, 09:35:11 AM
Yesterday I was connected for long periods although I did suffer de-sync occasionally. 

When did you first notice the occasional loss of synchronisation?

SuperTimo

I am not really sure, I don't recall it happening with any kind of consistent periodicity. I would be working on something and then suffer de-sync but be able to rejoin the server quickly, probably happened around three times. I was on the server until around 16:00 yesterday so not sure how it was after that.

jamespetts

Quote from: SuperTimo on April 14, 2019, 10:14:16 AM
I am not really sure, I don't recall it happening with any kind of consistent periodicity. I would be working on something and then suffer de-sync but be able to rejoin the server quickly, probably happened around three times. I was on the server until around 16:00 yesterday so not sure how it was after that.

I mean - on which day did it first start to occur?

SuperTimo

I think I de-synced once on Friday, but I only noticed it occurring multiple times yesterday.

jamespetts

Quote from: SuperTimo on April 14, 2019, 10:21:03 AM
I think I de-synced once on Friday, but I only noticed it occurring multiple times yesterday.

Thank you for the information.

These issues can take an extremely long time to solve. I have been able to reproduce the issue. I have pushed a fix for the crash, which may or may not be related: you will need to download a new version of the build from the server to connect.

SuperTimo

Thanks for the quick turnaround. The crash seems to be fixed but I am still unable to connect to the server without losing sync immediately.