News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Bug: Cannot build dock (Vehicles cannot be removed)

Started by DrSuperGood, December 19, 2017, 07:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

As a small port grows into a larger port it is often required to extend it to cope with the larger traffic. However often the traffic that visits it prevents one from building the extensions for some reason.

Here is some ASCII art showing the problem.

D = dock
N = where new dock is trying to be built
S = ship
T = ship tail (holds)
W = water
C = coast

Dock with no ships, N can be built.
WWWW
WWWW
CDNC

Dock with ship in orientation allowing N to be built
WTWW
WSWW
CDNC

Dock with ship in orientation that prevents N from being built with a "Vehicles cannot be removed" error message.
WWWW
WSTW
CDNC

Since the ship is already interacting with the dock I see no reason why it should prevent the enlargement of the dock to the sides.

jamespetts

Can you identify a particular place on the online game where this issue can reliably be reproduced, or alternatively upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced at a particular place and time?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

I have set up a demonstration for this bug on the server game @1528,505. The signs mark where trying to place an expansion to the dock fails due to "Vehicles cannot be removed".

It is possible this is a problem in Standard as well, just standard paksets do not have many multi-tile ships so it is never encountered.

jamespetts

I have managed to reproduce this in Standard, so I have moved this to the Standard bug reports board. I should note that there are multi-tile ships in the Standard version of Pak128.Britain.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

Does anyone still need the demonstration on the experimental server?

jamespetts

prissi

No considered an error, since before building a dock everything is removed. And ships are non-removal items. In realisty you cannot build a dock on a ship, you need to remove it first too.

DrSuperGood

The problem is that the dock is not being built over any ships. The dock is trying to be built on the shore (land) while a ship tail (cargo holds) is in front of it. I could understand if the dock in question had a peer as that would get built over the ship, however it does not.

Ters

In other words, it is not the dock/pier itself that is conflicting with the unremovable objects, but the invisible stops on water tiles surrounding it?

DrSuperGood

Quotebut the invisible stops on water tiles surrounding it?
Sounds about right.

Why must it remove all objects in the way? Surely it could ignore trying to remove all convoys.

Leartin

One could question why tiles on water need to be checked for objects at all, given that water objects are not 'solid'?

Ters

It is after all possible to build train platforms and bus stops on tiles with vehicles on them.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.