News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Game crashes when I save

Started by accord2, March 28, 2018, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I can save once when the world is raw. but if I play a bit and then I save it crashes immediately.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

Thank you for your report: sorry that you are having trouble. Can you upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced on saving again so that I can try to fix the problem?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

I just tried a theory of mine and I found out it only crashes on saving when I use the public service mode. If not, I can save.
Here it is the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxghehf163z2tgg/ocean%20raw.sve?dl=0

jamespetts

I am having trouble reproducing this, I am afraid: loading the game, saving as non-public player, switching to the public player, saving again, and then loading the saved game produces no crash for me.

Can you be more specific as to exactly what steps are necessary to reproduce the crash?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

accord2

Did you build something? Try building a route with one train, then wait like 5 min and try again, please.

accord2

I managed to "fix" this by using mode to Windows 8 in proprieties, maybe it's my PC and not the game.

jamespetts

I did not build anything: when trying to reproduce a bug, I will generally not do anything other than the specific things identified as necessary steps to reproduce in the bug report. Is building a route with a train and waiting 5 minutes (game minutes or real minutes?) a necessary step to reproduce this?

As to the workaround - that is odd. I have not encountered a crash that can be averted in this way.

accord2

I waited five minutes in real life. It did not happen in previous versions, so I do not know why this is happening :/

jamespetts

Can you confirm that this crash can reliably be reproduced (i.e., if you do these exact things multiple times, it will crash on each such occasion)?

accord2

It happens in my computer, if not happens in anyone else I don't know. What I did multiple times was building some railways and connected cities with trains, used public service (in some games to build factories, others just to build roads) connected city center with train station with bus, used fast foward (in some games not). In all these games the game crashed upon saving. But, in the testing I did, I only build a rail way very small, with one locomotive. Entered and exited public service, and the game still crashed when I clicked saving. I have been using since then windows 8 compatibility mode and the games works just fine. I really can't help you further than this, sorry.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I still cannot reproduce this at all. I load ocean raw.sve, build a simple rail route with a single train running on it, wait five seconds and save. The game does not crash.

I will need a lot more detail about the exact steps necessary to reproduce this reliably. However, if you can solve this entirely by using Windows 8 compatibility mode, that does suggest that it might not be reproducible on any other system.