News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Subtropical Storm Alberto update (tl;dr: Servers are safe!)

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, May 26, 2018, 11:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Just a quick reminder for anyone who knows that I host the forum, that I live in Panama City, FL, and who have seen the hurricane forecasts: The servers are in Atlanta, GA and perfectly safe. :)

(Also, this is most likely going to be a strong tropical storm at landfall. A bit of excitement, but nothing too bad)

Storm updates here: https://www.facebook.com/twxime/

Ters

Isn't it a bit early for those things? Then again, I've experienced summer temperatures for two weeks now, including temperatures higher than can be expected during a Norwegian summer, and according to the calendar, it is not even summer yet. It wouldn't surprise me if those are connected.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Ters on May 27, 2018, 07:43:47 AMIsn't it a bit early for those things?

Tropical systems have formed in every month of the year. Hurricane Season represents the most common time frame, but even then it typically starts very slow, with the peak in Aug-Sep-Oct.

Latest update is basically that if Alberto comes here, we might see 55mph/90kph sustained winds with higher gusts. If Alberto breaks just a little east, we could see essentially nothing. Definitely only going to be a tropical storm, not a hurricane. So not a big deal, but if we get hit, some people will probably lose power. Blech.

Should impact us later today through late tomorrow.

So no worries, anywhere from nothing to just irritation. :)

An_dz

Isaac is from Florida, anything below 150km/h is just a windy day :)

Ters

Unlike me, who thinks anything above 15 km/h is bad. On the other hand, it is enough to bring down our trees, cutting power lines, blocking roads and crushing vehicles and buildings. And send trampolines and pavilion tents flying.

I do however think that neither I nor people from Florida knows what 150 km/h winds are, although for completely different reasons.

IgorEliezer

Hey Isaac, break a leg! (not sure if this applies :x)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: IgorEliezer on May 27, 2018, 07:59:47 PMHey Isaac, break a leg!

Only in theatre. So you have medically cursed me now. 😞🤔

Quote from: Ters on May 27, 2018, 07:16:31 PManything above 15 km/h is bad.

Well, I actually agree with this. I'm still "medically fragile", so if we lose power, it may be more than mere discomfort. So I have asked Facebook friends (i.e. real life acquaintances) to be my backup emergency place to go cool off if we lose power and they have power. I have four places lined up - should be enough. I don't expect to lose power, but the wrong tree falling means probably a few people here will be.

Quote from: Ters on May 27, 2018, 07:16:31 PMknows what 150 km/h winds are,
Assuming you mean metric conversion, my rule of thumb is to divide in half and add 10% of the original, so 150÷2=75, 150÷10=15; 75+15=90 which is close to the 93mph it is, which is a Cat2 hurricane.

Thankfully I haven't experienced a Cat2 hurricane so far. :)

Quote from: An_dz on May 27, 2018, 05:04:54 PManything below 150km/h is just a windy day
Well, maybe that's more like driving speeds in Dallas, but... I'll take it. hehe

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on May 27, 2018, 11:15:22 PM
Assuming you mean metric conversion, my rule of thumb is to divide in half and add 10% of the original, so 150÷2=75, 150÷10=15; 75+15=90 which is close to the 93mph it is, which is a Cat2 hurricane.
Thankfully, you got the joke. I was worried it would be too cryptic.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Ters on May 28, 2018, 05:44:43 AMI was worried it would be too cryptic.
I'm tempted to say that Floridians should generally be able to keep up with something like that, but sadly... I'm unable to make that assertion. 😞

In other news, a report from not-that-far away from the center of STS Alberto as it is currently not far off the shore from us and might even make landfall in our county: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl6hR1uUvHQ