News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Incorporating changes from Standard

Started by ACarlotti, May 06, 2018, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on December 14, 2020, 09:28:07 AM
Thank you for your report. I think I've fixed it. Please confirm.

Thank you - now incorporated.

Quote from: Phystam on December 14, 2020, 04:29:29 AM
This is a small report and is not a bug. After incorporating standard features, the Extended revision has not been shown on the top but the Standard revision.

I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this on my local development version - can anyone else reproduce this?
Edit: I can reproduce this on the builds from the Bridgewater-Brunel server, but not locally.
Edit 2: This issue also appears in the server browser in-game, with something like an SVN revision number being used instead of the truncated Github hash. This occurs both on versions built locally and those built on the server.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

I cannot yet reproduce this, but I have had numerous segfaults when switching players since the merge, sometimes with the vehicle list open.

wlindley

With a1d2dc --Attempting to display the Change Players dialog gives:

simutrans-extended: gui/player_frame_t.cc:111: ki_kontroll_t::ki_kontroll_t(): Assertion `player_t::MAX_AI==4' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Stepping through players works normally.
Also, newly saved games go to the bottom of the Load list, and have a blank instead of "Pak128.Britain" where the pakset should be.

jamespetts

The assertion failure seems to be from a spurious assertion which I have commented out, and doing so allows the player dialogue to be opened apparently without trouble.

The issue with the saved games list I can confirm.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

Confirm that d50bdb corrects assertion failure.  That was quick!

I do note that saving and reloading a game resets the player number.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: wlindley on December 14, 2020, 05:04:09 PMI do note that saving and reloading a game resets the player number.
This also standard's bug.
I'm guessing this may be related to the fact that autosave saves the state of the dialog, but we can't restore the dialog if we save it manually.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Matthew

Thank you for today's fixes, James.

Quote from: jamespetts on December 14, 2020, 11:31:00 AM
I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this on my local development version - can anyone else reproduce this?
Edit: I can reproduce this on the builds from the Bridgewater-Brunel server, but not locally.
Edit 2: This issue also appears in the server browser in-game, with something like an SVN revision number being used instead of the truncated Github hash. This occurs both on versions built locally and those built on the server.

I can reproduce this. Notice that it also affects the listing website, which makes it more difficult to self-compile builds matching the Bridgewater-Brunel server.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Matthew

Quote from: Ranran on December 14, 2020, 09:28:07 AM
Thank you for your report. I think I've fixed it. Please confirm.

The fix did not work for me. I built from this branch at commit #5b76bff, which at the moment is identical to jamespetts/master, and compiled using MSYS2 on Windows 10. I ran the client (also in Windows) with an offline Bridgewater-Brunel save. I opened an aircraft hangar & an internal combustion bus depot and could not see petrol vehicles in either of them (unless I checked the 'Show all' box).
EDIT: The fix works in today's (2020-1215) nightly.

I was able to open the Players dialogue without a crash, so that bug does appear to be fixed.  :done: :thumbsup:

Double-post for new information and to make use of reply function.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

wlindley

This is excellent work!  The sawmills always being in the forest is a little thing perhaps but enhances the realism. 

I did test setting "Location=River" for the early textile mills, ironworks and steel mills; that seems to work properly.  Better and better!

jamespetts

Quote from: wlindley on December 14, 2020, 11:28:22 PM
This is excellent work!  The sawmills always being in the forest is a little thing perhaps but enhances the realism. 

I did test setting "Location=River" for the early textile mills, ironworks and steel mills; that seems to work properly.  Better and better!

Excellent - thank you for testing! Are you able to push these changes to your github branch? This would seem to be a sensible thing to have in the pakset.

It would be lovely if somebody could make a water-mill; like a wind-mill, only with different graphics, needing to be near water, and having a greater capacity/throughput.

prissi

In pak64 standard, all powerplant have the river set, since they need cooling water ... Makes also shipping oil easier in some cases.

wlindley

Quote from: jamespetts on December 15, 2020, 11:25:15 PMAre you able to push these changes to your github branch?
I have put a possible pull-request with an early spinner's cottage (1750, pre-water-powered Mill) along with a water mill (not having drawn a water wheel, but without a smokestack).  References are provided for the technology and dates indicated.

Also added an intermediate steam-powered mill which requires a small amount of coal.  The existing mill without the coal requirement is retained for compatibility with existing saved games. 
I am not entirely happy with the "number of jobs" and the goods quantities but have not been able to pick .dat values which give lower jobs numbers, so please consider this all a preliminary attempt.

jamespetts

Thank you for this - now incorporated. That is lovely.

I notice that you have some other branches from some time ago relating to a leather and steel industry; I cannot recall whether these are awaiting my review or more work from you; can you remind me?

Thank you again.

jamespetts

Ranran - thank you very much for your work on the improved halt detail dialogue. I have just reviewed this, added the translation texts and incorporated it.

This is a great improvement on what went before.
Edit: As to the acceleration curve chart, if it is an unreasonable amount of work to truncate the graphs so that they do not always end in 0km/h and 0kN, then it is better to have them like this than not.

Can I ask whether this is ready for a final review? If so, I should be grateful if you could list all the translation texts for this branch.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 17, 2020, 11:22:07 PMCan I ask whether this is ready for a final review?
In a nutshell, it still has problems. (´・ω・`)

Matthew

Would it perhaps be sensible to pause integrating branches with new features until we understand the current stability bugs?

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: Ranran on December 13, 2020, 02:48:41 PM(1) I forgot to mention the added three symbols. If the pakset has those symbols, some text will be replaced with the symbols, saving space.
(2) Two type of average speed is only displayed in debug mode. Therefore, the amount of text is smaller in release builds.

The symbol dat is here
As mentioned above, pakset needs to include a new symbol to complete the merge of the halt-detail-plus-v2 branch.
It's in the newlists branch.

I found some bugs in the halt detail dialog and fixed them. Check pull request #313.

I'm aware of a scrollbar issue, but I haven't fixed it yet.

jamespetts

Thank you - I have now incorporated those fixes.

As to the newlists branch, I believe that I have already merged this, as I do not see any option for merging this when I look at my Git GUI. If you believe that I have not merged this, it would help to issue a pull request so that I can try to merge this using an alternative method. Thank you.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 18, 2020, 06:49:02 PMAs to the newlists branch, I believe that I have already merged this, as I do not see any option for merging this when I look at my Git GUI.

Symbols should look like this on the station detail dialog if merged correctly, but pak128.britain-ex still doesn't have those symbols.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on December 18, 2020, 10:31:48 PM

Symbols should look like this on the station detail dialog if merged correctly, but pak128.britain-ex still doesn't have those symbols.

Can you issue a pull request since I seem to have trouble merging this in the usual way? Thank you.

Ranran(retired)

jamespetts

freddyhayward

Thank you for the station info improvements, I have some feedback:
1. it should be group by destination/category, not sort.
2. In future, there could be sort by speed, distance (current default), travel time, and frequency.
3. The list cannot be scrolled. I believe you said you were aware of this.
4. The 'line' and 'line to' sort modes should sort its results, either by amount or name.

jamespetts

Thank you - I have amended the text to implement the first of these suggestions.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 17, 2020, 11:22:07 PMAs to the acceleration curve chart, if it is an unreasonable amount of work to truncate the graphs so that they do not always end in 0km/h and 0kN, then it is better to have them like this than not.
As I explained a few months ago, this has a complex problem.

In the real world, the theoretical value is drawn from the calculation formula. But in the patch the numbers use in-game calculations.

In this example, the maximum speed is 8km / h and the chart is drawn up to 8km / h.

The problem is the value of max speed, but when ask the function for the acceleration force at max speed, 0 is returned. Because otherwise convoy will accelerate above the top speed.
The same is true for resistance. If the acceleration force is 0, the resistance force is not 0 or the balance cannot be achieved.
We have to change it so that you can get the theoretical value for the chart. But the code was written by Bernd Gabriel and is definitely a black box for me.

The second problem is the drawing of graphs. All the charts that exist in simutrans today have a fixed number of x-axis in advance. In this case it is 24. Draw a graph using up to 24 arrays. Making this a flexible x-axis number instead of a fixed number is a new system that I can't do with my skills. The maximum speed can change each time player change the configuration of the convoy in the depot, and it has to change the number of arrays and redraw each time.
And as explained before, if the maximum velocity is a prime number, the x-axis will not be all integers except the both ends.
Therefore, the x-axis is drawn by the integer span, but since the number of arrays is fixed, there are cases where it does not fit neatly like this.

The top speed is 56km / h, but the existing x-axis is 54 and 57.

The only way to draw this correctly is to flexibly extend the array as explained or create a system that draws a line in the middle of the axis.
Thus I think it would be difficult to achieve it.

You can easily check the maximum value by turning the graph on and off.

QuoteCan I ask whether this is ready for a final review? If so, I should be grateful if you could list all the translation texts for this branch.
It's ready to be reviewed.

cd_physics_tab
v-t graph
f-v graph
Acceleration(actual)
Acceleration(full load)
Acceleration(empty)
Running resistance
time_to_top_speed:
distance_required_to_top_speed:
helptxt_starting_acceleration
helptxt_actual_acceleration
helptxt_v-t_graph
helptxt_f-v_graph
Acceleration graph when nothing is loaded on the convoy
helptxt_vt_graph_full_load
helptxt_fv_graph_tractive_effort
Total force acting in the opposite direction of the convoy
helptxt_acceleration_time
helptxt_acceleration_distance
Unreachable
%.2f sec

jamespetts

May I suggest that a basic solution would be simply to truncate the graph at 1km/h less than the top speed? One does not look at this graph to find out the vehicle's top speed, and the datum in the graph corresponding with the top speed is incorrect and not of any use to anyone, so truncating it at 1km/h below the top speed, where the data are still useful, would seem to be a better way of dealing with this. Truncating 1km/h below the top speed would then avoid the problem with there being a fixed number of axes.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 19, 2020, 06:27:25 PMMay I suggest that a basic solution would be simply to truncate the graph at 1km/h less than the top speed? One does not look at this graph to find out the vehicle's top speed, and the datum in the graph corresponding with the top speed is incorrect and not of any use to anyone, so truncating it at 1km/h below the top speed, where the data are still useful, would seem to be a better way of dealing with this. Truncating 1km/h below the top speed would then avoid the problem with there being a fixed number of axes.
I changed it that way. However, it is not 1km/h but one before the x-axis span.

Ranran(retired)

Due to mass merging from standard, the save function of the dialog that was opened when saving by manual save has disappeared.
The dialog that was opened at the time of saving is restored only in the case of automatic save.
However, as far as I can confirm, there seems to be no function to restore the opened dialog when manually saving in standard.
Was this an extended-specific feature?

Or do you know what part of the code to look for?

jamespetts

Thank you for that: the graph is now much more readable with the truncation.

However, I have noticed one issue: with the "modern" theme (at least), opening the graph tab for the first time leaves part of the buttons cut off:

As to saving the dialogue positions, this is a Standard feature; it had not been working fully in Extended as this was implemented in Standard after the divergence with Extended, but there is no Extended specific code here. I cannot now remember where in the code that this is located.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 20, 2020, 11:41:47 AMHowever, I have noticed one issue: with the "modern" theme (at least), opening the graph tab for the first time leaves part of the buttons cut off:
This was simply because the initial dialog size wasn't set to anything. In other words, it was opened with the default size common to all dialogs.
I have set the initial size to the size that the chart will display properly.

QuoteAs to saving the dialogue positions, this is a Standard feature; it had not been working fully in Extended as this was implemented in Standard after the divergence with Extended, but there is no Extended specific code here. I cannot now remember where in the code that this is located.
Does anyone know if standard had ever restored a dialog position with a manual save? I downloaded and tried 112 and 120.1.2 but neither of them had that feature. Of course not in 122.0.
However, the function existed in extended before recent mass merging.

jamespetts

Excellent - that has fixed the issue, thank you. I have now added English translation texts to this. Can I check whether this is ready for merging or whether you believe that there is further work to be done?

I was not aware that manual and automatic saving differed in Standard for dialogue position restoration. I am not sure whether this is intentional or not, and I do not know this part of the code very well at all.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on December 20, 2020, 12:37:28 PMExcellent - that has fixed the issue, thank you. I have now added English translation texts to this. Can I check whether this is ready for merging or whether you believe that there is further work to be done?
There are currently no plans to add features related to physical charts. Therefore, it is a break.
I think it's ready to be merged. If there is no problem in operation.

freddyhayward

I recently segfaulted after clicking the 'details' button on a stop. No reproduction yet.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on December 20, 2020, 12:58:34 PM
There are currently no plans to add features related to physical charts. Therefore, it is a break.
I think it's ready to be merged. If there is no problem in operation.

Splendid - now incorporated. Thank you.

jamespetts

Furhter work on incorporation, aside from critical bug fixes, will now need to await the work on the vehicle-management-new branch of Github, discussed further here. The priority now is merging the work that I undertook in 2018 towards adding new balance critical features relating to vehicles/convoys (especially recombination, maintenance and degradation), which is a large but important task.

Merging this with the changed state of the master branch and making it work will be a very large task, so it is necessary that all other work on the master branch be paused until this is completed (save for critical bug fixes), or else it will make it extremely difficult to undertake the merging work.

One of the issues with running the code from the vehicle-management-new branch at present is that, on starting a pakset with no demo.sve, the game crashes on line 452 of simmenu.cc because tool is null. This looks to be a UI issue, although it is not immediately clear whether this relates to any of the UI changes discussed in this thread.

It would be helpful if those who have worked on the merging and UI work discussed in this thread could check over the new branch to see that their work has been correctly merged.