News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Incorporating changes from Standard

Started by ACarlotti, May 06, 2018, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Thank you for this. I have tested this, but found that this reintroduces the scroll problem, so have not incorporated this for the present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on April 16, 2022, 05:47:09 PMfound that this reintroduces the scroll problem,
It's odd that this happens because it's not a revert-like change to something, and there are few changes. I think the cause is quite limited.
I also don't think I understand correctly what the "scroll problem" is. Can you elaborate?
(I searched this thread for "scroll" and found no explanation.)

Note that extended has now halfway merged in standard commits, as reported in another thread, which reduces mouse playability. I apologize for the inconvenience.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Ranran(retired)

Pull request #525 adds a remove signal tool and translates some German variable names.

As already explained, I will basically not be doing this work anymore in the future, so anyone can take over this project.
The recently merged commits are listed in documentation / cherry-picked-commits.txt with reference to what OPRP is doing to make it easier to take over. please refer.

jamespetts

Apologies for the delay in response - the scroll problem was the problem described in another thread (I cannot immediately recall where) in which, in at least some cases (I could reproduce this on my Linux computer), scrolling a large game with slower performance resulted in very large sudden jumps in position, making it extremely difficult to move around the map or control one's position. This had been a problem for some time, but was fixed about a month ago, with one of your patches, I think. Pull request no. 530 reintroduced this problem.

Can I check whether pull request 530 is cumulative with 525, or whether the intention is that 525 be merged first?

In any event, thank you very much for the work that you have done to date on merging; it is a very large and difficult piece of work, and your dedication to this has greatly improved Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Having tested again, the latest version of this appears not to have the scroll problem any longer, so I have incorporated this. I should note, however, that I cannot find any remove signal tool - is this because the tool icon/definition has not yet been added to the configuration files?

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on May 01, 2022, 12:50:20 PMCan I check whether pull request 530 is cumulative with 525, or whether the intention is that 525 be merged first?
Those pull requests are independent.

QuoteHaving tested again, the latest version of this appears not to have the scroll problem any longer, so I have incorporated this.
PR#525 has nothing to do with the scroll problem.

QuoteI should note, however, that I cannot find any remove signal tool - is this because the tool icon/definition has not yet been added to the configuration files?
It is the same as the removal tool dedicated to rails and electrifications. So pakset should be prepared with an icon like for example signal with a bulldozer.

Quotescrolling a large game with slower performance resulted in very large sudden jumps in position, making it extremely difficult to move around the map or control one's position. This had been a problem for some time, but was fixed about a month ago, with one of your patches, I think. Pull request no. 530 reintroduced this problem.
I added a commit from standard to pull request #530. It looks like r10618 has improved performance. please confirm.

Ranran(retired)

Pull request #570 incorporates minor changes from r10659 to 10719.

- Minor improvements to font setting UI by roboron
- Destruction tools ignore pedestrians. This could save Freddy from suffering.  ;)
- Fixed some UI bugs
- Fixed bug in tunnel graphics when changing terrain
- Fixed an issue where factories would sometimes not register as power plants as intended

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on September 17, 2022, 04:48:19 AMPull request #570 incorporates minor changes from r10659 to 10719.

- Minor improvements to font setting UI by roboron
- Destruction tools ignore pedestrians. This could save Freddy from suffering.  ;)
- Fixed some UI bugs
- Fixed bug in tunnel graphics when changing terrain
- Fixed an issue where factories would sometimes not register as power plants as intended
Thank you very much for this. Can I check whether this has been tested with the ex-15 branch for merge conflicts? I need to ensure that it merges properly with that branch before I can safely incorporate it into the master branch.

Ranran(retired)

The ex15 branch has had issues a few months ago, so I'd prefer to resolve those first before merging.
I can't test it because I've had problems with boot in the past.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on October 23, 2022, 05:11:01 PMThe ex15 branch has had issues a few months ago, so I'd prefer to resolve those first before merging.
I can't test it because I've had problems with boot in the past.
Thank you for letting me know. I believe that I have now fixed this - I should be grateful if you could test the compatibility of integration with the ex-15 branch before I incorporate this into the master branch. Thank you.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on October 31, 2022, 12:15:55 AMI should be grateful if you could test the compatibility of integration with the ex-15 branch before I incorporate this into the master branch.
I've confirmed that pull request #570 and #580 work fine with the ex15 branch.
PR#582 is a minor bug fix unrelated to ex15, so I think it's fine.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on October 31, 2022, 12:19:15 PMI've confirmed that pull request #570 and #580 work fine with the ex15 branch.
PR#582 is a minor bug fix unrelated to ex15, so I think it's fine.
Excellent, thank you for that. I have now incorporated these. No. 580 did need some adjustment to the load/save versioning, however.

Ranran(retired)

PR#592 is a slight integration from standard. I'm taking a break from simutrans for a while, so I'll submit the commits I've completed so far.

jamespetts

Quote from: (N)Ranran (Hibernating) on November 18, 2022, 01:16:57 PMPR#592 is a slight integration from standard. I'm taking a break from simutrans for a while, so I'll submit the commits I've completed so far.
Thank you very much for this, and apologies for the delay in responding. Can I ask whether this has been tested for Ex-15 branch compatibility?

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on January 03, 2023, 10:40:12 PMThank you very much for this, and apologies for the delay in responding. Can I ask whether this has been tested for Ex-15 branch compatibility?

This change has already been merged into the new branch for ex15 and has been tested.

jamespetts

Quote from: (N)Ranran (Hibernating) on January 03, 2023, 11:17:50 PMThis change has already been merged into the new branch for ex15 and has been tested.
Excellent, thank you: now incorporated.

neroden

Does someone have a summary of the current state of incorporation of changes from standard?
Is the documentation/cherry-picked-commits.txt file relevant to this question?

ceeac

The cherry-picked-commits.txt file lists most (all?) commits that Ranran cherry-picked from Standard, however he is taking a break from Simutrans at the moment. I have also submitted a few pull requests incorporating changes from Standard, mostly around improving code quality (automated tests) and tools for desync debugging ("heavy mode"). Many of the automated tests are still disabled though because the functionality is different between Standard and Extended.

I am currently working on a larger patch which incorporates the terraformer refactoring made in r10443 (this is mostly finished, should be ready by this or next weekend), and a port of the source reorganization script added in r10444. This should make incorporating further changes much easier again.

ceeac

The terraformer changes are now finished: #609 for the master branch and #610 for the ex-15 branch.

neroden

That's great news.  I see that the cherry-picked-commits.txt file runs from 9700 to 10802, plus three stray cherry-picks from earlier.

A. Carlotti definitely got everything up to #7429, with Phystam working up to 7753 or 8125, and it looks like Ranran started around there.  I see that James merged Ranran's merge-from-8434 branch.  Are we sure we have everything from 8435 to 9700? 

That's where the discussion in this thread got confusing and lost in questions of compilation so I'm a bit confused.

Regarding the source reorganization script.... well.... I kind of want to make sure we have all the patches we want from standard which went in *before* the source reorganization *before* we apply the source reorganization script, which is why I'm asking about this.

jamespetts

Ceeac - thank you for this. Now incorporated.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: neroden on April 28, 2023, 04:35:26 PMDoes someone have a summary of the current state of incorporation of changes from standard?
Is the documentation/cherry-picked-commits.txt file relevant to this question?
The reason I wrote out the cherry picked commits is to make it clear that I'm only picking up specific commits because I skipped commits that were not UI related. Because I just followed ACarlotti's recommendation and proceeded with the merge from the standard to expedite the work of implementing the GUI.

There is a concern that changing the folder structure while missing important commits will make it difficult to obtain those commits in the future.

A bunch of big unfetched commits that I can recall are:

(1) moisture patch

(2) Support for the new dat description method of makeobj
dat file for standard may not be reused as it is for extended. Specifically, simplification of image specification description.

(3) multi-tile citybuilding

Of particular importance is the repair of the broken multi-tile citybuilding code.
Extended's multi-tile citybuilding code was written by THLeaderH. But standard is not. This only makes it difficult to move between standard and extended and reduces maintainability.
And prissi points out that the Extended multi-tile citybuilding code is broken. But unfortunately extended doesn't have a normal pakset with multi-tile citybuilding so it's not easy to test it.
It should also be noted that he introduced a number of bugs in the overtaking feature that he has neglected to fix most of the time. The irresponsible Japanese who wrote the code won't help us anyway. And so years have passed.

Please refer to the following.
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,17857.0.html
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,17814.0.html

Some relevant thread are below:
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21166.msg201034.html#msg201034

https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21029.msg196285.html#msg196285

https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?msg=184192

https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?msg=196974

QuoteA. Carlotti definitely got everything up to #7429
I've completed some missing trivial commits, but I think his work is mostly accurate.

Quote from: neroden on May 02, 2023, 02:35:41 AMwith Phystam working up to 7753 or 8125
I find Phystam's work is not much, but there were a lot of errors. It's similar to what A.Carlotti pointed out about his work before he left. Note that A.Carlotti mentioned commits before r7753, but I'm talking about after r7753.

Quote from: ACarlotti on January 09, 2019, 11:04:07 PMThere's are several instances where, for no reason I can tell, you didn't incorporate a change accurately, resulting in a completely unnecessary difference from the standard codebase. There are some changes that you didn't transfer for some reason.
There were some examples of missing changes (sets of rows).

A
B
A'
B'
Sometimes he missed A'B' with a change like that. (I mean he removed A'B' from the change. Looking for it by looking at the history is a very troublesome task.)

Many errors were missing "_rgb" in ABC_rgb. And many typos (upper and lower case mistakes). A number of similar variable names were mixed up. He missed a lot of it being changed to xxx_rgb.

I got the impression he was manually typing and transcribing changes because there were many weird typos. (Such typos don't happen with automerge or copy and paste.)

I've fixed the ones I noticed, but for example the crash bug when switching players was caused by incorrect merging and was overlooked until recently. Note that I am not saying this to condemn him, but to clarify the possibility that such errors may already be lurking if someone takes over the work, to clarify the cause of the error, and to prevent its recurrence.

Quote from: ACarlotti on January 10, 2019, 07:36:14 AMI've pushed changes up to the beginning of January (including some bits that Phystam missed). Getting much further than that will take a little while because there are a lot of big commits in there.
Phystam also missed a lot of basic changes since r7753.

Unfortunately, I also have doubts about the accuracy of my work.

Extended currently still has some old style GUIs.
(1) Player list
(2) Schedule list

Since these are extended with many functions, they need to be dealt with individually.
As we merged from standard, the old dialogs became more and more anomalous.
Also, some GUI parts may have bugs in extended due to placement not implemented in standard. For example combobox. But I think it's a bug in standard.

jamespetts

Ranran - thank you for that summary: that is most helpful. I agree that the priority is fixing the multi-tile city building code (i.e. incorporating the fixes from Standard).

neroden

So, I may have a chance this winter to work on cleaning this up and properly incorporating the commits from 7429 to 10444, which should be done before the source reorganization.

The problem I have is this.  I want to do this work properly using Git (specifically, actually using "git merge" and "git cherry-pick"). 

But how do I tell what SVN commit number matches to what Git commit?  Is there an easy way to do this?

ceeac

Quote from: neroden on October 15, 2023, 04:56:18 AMBut how do I tell what SVN commit number matches to what Git commit?  Is there an easy way to do this?

$ git log -n1 master | grep git-svn-id | grep -Poe "(?<=@)[0-9]+"

jamespetts

Quote from: neroden on October 15, 2023, 04:56:18 AMSo, I may have a chance this winter to work on cleaning this up and properly incorporating the commits from 7429 to 10444, which should be done before the source reorganization.

The problem I have is this.  I want to do this work properly using Git (specifically, actually using "git merge" and "git cherry-pick"). 

But how do I tell what SVN commit number matches to what Git commit?  Is there an easy way to do this?
That would be splendid - I shall look forward to your work on this.