News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Pak64 food chain not working

Started by passengerpigeon, June 21, 2018, 11:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passengerpigeon

Dear community,
Today I downloaded the official food add-on for Pak64 and copied the .pak files into my pak folder, but neither the vehicles nor the industries showed up in game. I did check that the version of Pak64 I was using matched with the food addon. Is there some step I missed in installing this?

prissi

Usually the installer will put the food chain into an addon folder, in order to join network games. Then you have to use the "with addons" button when loading simutrans.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: prissi on June 21, 2018, 12:00:55 PM
Usually the installer will put the food chain into an addon folder, in order to join network games. Then you have to use the "with addons" button when loading simutrans.
I installed it manually; what directory structure should I create?

Frank

-singleuser
.. simutrans/addons/pak/

or
-multiuser
[user dir] .. /simutrans/addons/pak/

passengerpigeon

Quote from: Frank on June 21, 2018, 12:43:00 PM
-singleuser
.. simutrans/addons/pak/

or
-multiuser
[user dir] .. /simutrans/addons/pak/
Hmm, I tried that and my own vehicle addons work fine, but none of the food pack does for some reason. Do you know what might be causing this?

Ters

The dumbest reason might be because they are not available at the date you are at in the game, but if that was the case, you would have very few core pak64 vehicles and industries as well.

Another reason might be that you extract the food-add on with directories intact. I don't know where to get a current pak64 food add-on zip, so I don't know how it is structured, but you could have ended up with something like simutrans/addons/pak/simutrans/addons/pak, which won't work.

Personally, I run a self-built pak64 with the food stuff included, and that works fine. Although I haven't updated it for months now.

An_dz

Just to sum up what the others said, you need to have the .pak files directly inside /addons/pak and not in a sub-folder.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: An_dz on June 21, 2018, 05:29:24 PM
Just to sum up what the others said, you need to have the .pak files directly inside /addons/pak and not in a sub-folder.

They already are, as are my own add-ons, which work fine. My version is 120.2.2, the latest for Mac; do I need an older pakset for this version?

An_dz

How are you verifying if they work or not?

passengerpigeon

Quote from: An_dz on June 22, 2018, 04:47:19 AM
How are you verifying if they work or not?
By starting the game. None of the vehicles or industries show up.

Ters

Show up how? Where? The food add-on doesn't have many vehicles in the first place, as it can reuse many of the core pak64 vehicles. And industries might not spawn for a multitude of reasons. (I played several games before the first waste industry chain appeared.) Have you checked the goods list or the industry construction tool and seen if there is any food stuff there?

passengerpigeon

Quote from: Ters on June 22, 2018, 09:09:30 AM
Show up how? Where? The food add-on doesn't have many vehicles in the first place, as it can reuse many of the core pak64 vehicles. And industries might not spawn for a multitude of reasons. (I played several games before the first waste industry chain appeared.) Have you checked the goods list or the industry construction tool and seen if there is any food stuff there?
Oops, yes, I checked again and the industries are all there. However, I don't see any cooled goods wagons or trucks. Are these implemented by default?

Ters

Cooled goods have a rather limited time range, especially for trucks, unless you count the fish vehicles.* This reflects reality. The same is true for milk, which has even fewer vehicles than cooled goods. Those two are the only new cargo groups introduced by the food add-on. Grain counts as bulk goods, and use the same vehicles as coal and ore, while the rest are boxed goods.

*The fishing boats and the fish carriage can carry any kind of cooled goods, but the latter is more or less outdated by the time factories producing other kinds of cooled goods appear. There is in fact a gap of several decades between the retirement of the fish carriage and the introduction of the cooling truck, in which transport of fish and meat by road is impossible. This is one of the reasons why it is an add-on, and not part of code pak64, despite being maintained together.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: Ters on June 22, 2018, 05:42:07 PM
Cooled goods have a rather limited time range, especially for trucks, unless you count the fish vehicles.*
Oh, I see them now! I had no idea why I didn't before. I set a test map to 2010 and selected "Allow Buying Obsolete Vehicles".

Ters

At which point did you expect refrigerator trucks or refrigerator cars to be available? The introduction date for the railroad car seems about right, according to Wikipedia. I can't find any date for when refrigerator trucks entered common use, and were not just ice cream trucks.