The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Convoy length calculation bug  (Read 2436 times)

Offline TurfIt

• Dev Team, Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
Re: Convoy length calculation bug
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 11:31:52 PM »

Offline Ranran

• Languages: ja
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:08 AM »
Thank you for making me aware of that thread.
I think I have seen the symptoms several times since then.
For example is this a problem with the drawing position of this coach?

I can't remember why I was aware of the symptom...

EDIT: The example seems to have a problem with the coach

EDIT2: I may have seen it with a deliberately reversed EMU/DMU or a Jalapagos customized pakset during patch testing. In that case, it may not be a problem. I think the former was simply caused by the fact that it didn't go through that process. I don't understand if that code does the right thing if the cars are reversed on each car.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:47:02 AM by Ranran »

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »
From what I can see of that thread, reversed vehicle graphics were not implemented at the time. I cannot remember enough of the relevant detail to work out how much work that it would be to implement this, but this is likely to need to be done before convoy recombination.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2020, 12:46:39 AM »
I am taking some early steps to look into this. First of all, it seems that it will not be possible simply to re-use the existing offset code used when defining the vehicle graphics. This is because makeobj combines the offsets with the image dimensions and writes the product of the two into the pak file, effectively pre-calculating and combining the offset with the image itself such that there are no offset calculations performed in Simutrans itself.

Any offset functions will have to be copied from elsewhere or written from scratch. Ranran - are you able to set up a saved game where this can be tested effectively?

I am wondering whether the function used for showing the graphics of vehicles moving along tiles (get_screen_offset()) might be modified or co-opted for the purpose of imparting a new reversing offset. This is particularly relevant since the misalignment that you show in your illustration images shows that that the vehicles are only misaligned along the same axis as they travel, rather than the vertical axis and therefore it should be possible in principle to use the same basic algorithm here to impart a reversing offset of some sort which might be defined at pakset level (and which might programmatically depend on the vehicle length).

Thank you for your help with this.

Offline Ranran

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:11 AM »
I made a saved game in which the vehicle was forcibly reversed. Please note that this will be restored when it arrives at the next station.
This is because the vehicle can currently be reversed only when the convoy is reversed. But once recombination is possible, such restrictions should disappear.

In the debug build, the reversed vehicle is marked like this.

The britain-pakset does not show much image shift. Certain vehicles show a position mismatch.

However, I think that the vertical direction may not have the previous correction applied.

Next, I think that the previous position correction processing is pak-britain or 128pixel size specific.
Reversing a pak256 vehicle alternatively makes it so terrible.  :::)

saved game for testing is here:
Vehicles are alternately reversed:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d5gnRdQ11-WQQjikeAT7Gj8pVB26O-Ht

The vehicle is reversed once every three cars:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lDx0FLga7F-eQoVEfMC9kTjaTQbDc6t1

Pak256:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18-GpZJNX67zLlvviqyYSRXNyhb7qjP0F
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:18:33 AM by Ranran »

Offline Phystam

• Pak256.Ex developer
    • Pak256 wiki page
  • Languages: JP, EN, EO
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 11:08:54 PM »
Pak256 doesn’t use the offset values for vehicles, but they are aligned only in the image files.
I’ve never seen such a strange alignment issue.

Offline Ranran

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 03:09:08 AM »
I’ve never seen such a strange alignment issue.
Please read past posts in the thread.
This is possible if the recombination system is implemented with the current specifications. The experiment.