News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[Project] Story / campaign mode using scrips

Started by Yona-TYT, November 16, 2018, 11:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

With this topic I want to discuss some concepts related to the story mode that I am planning.

- 1 Load multiple maps in a scenario:

This had already been discussed, so not much to say here, it is simply the basis to start creating a story mode as they do in other projects such as supertux2 or Wesnoth.

- 2 Win and lose the game:

In Wesnoth there are certain actions that determine if a player loses or advances to the next chapter, in case of losing the game will appear a window indicating that you have been defeated and shows an "End scenario" button that allows the player to restart the game. If the player is victorious the "End scenario" button allows him to advance to the next chapter. It would be great to be able to recreate this in simutrans in some way, my idea is to show the show the scenario window constantly and using the "Script Text" showing a link that says "End scenario". Any other idea to do this welcome!

- 3 Compatibility with other pakset:
I would like to follow the path of the "SQAI" and create a single script that works in all pakset, but unfortunately this is very difficult to achieve, I would be happy to achieve good results with the most complete "pakset" and also reduce as much as possible the manual work.
For this it is necessary to control the map generator with script.

- 3 Bonus for efficiency:

It occurs to me to give the player a bonus to achieve an efficient company, for one that manages to generate profits while completing a chapter.

- 5 Compete with the AI ​​in some chapters:

It also occurs to me to make the player compete with the AI, but for that I would need to activate a player using scrit and tell him to use the AI, but it is a subject for later, there is no hurry with this.

I will be updating this post as the project progresses and new ideas appear ... a big greeting to all!  :-*

DrSuperGood

There are many ways a story/campaign could be implemented. For example one could make one in a single continuous map which forces the player to progress and learn how to play in the process. That would need a feature to prevent years advancing and such.

The way you described sounds a lot like how Railroad Tycoon 3 implemented its story/campaign mode.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 17, 2018, 06:12:42 AMThere are many ways a story/campaign could be implemented. For example one could make one in a single continuous map which forces the player to progress and learn how to play in the process. That would need a feature to prevent years advancing and such.

The way you described sounds a lot like how Railroad Tycoon 3 implemented its story/campaign mode.

Hi how are you?, Sorry for not responding on time.  :-[
I think it would be a bit boring to always play on the same map. On the other hand, it is a bit difficult to add new chapters since the map must be modified without breaking the existing chapters.

Yona-TYT

Hi how are you ?.
I hope you do not forget this, I still hope to see for a campaign mode for simutrans.  :D
Greetings to all !.

prissi

I think he meant a long map, of which you can play only certain regains; that regions increase (or shift) with each chapter.

Yona-TYT

if that's what I understand, but I find the maps more entertaining in sequence, obtained a bonus for completing a scenario with good finances.

I would be very happy to work in these scenarios, but I also need to control the map generator to make the scenarios work in most pakset.