News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

New game settings

Started by Artelas, December 26, 2019, 04:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artelas

Hello all, I've searched for quite a time, but still not sure what new game settings to enter for balanced singleplayer game.

Could you please share your favourite new game settings?

Spenk009

Welcome to the forum!

You didn't specify a pakset, but probably mean pakbritain. Balancing is ongoing at the moment, but I think you can get a decent idea from savegames posted in savegame and bug report threads. The intention is that the default settings (that do scale with you changing map size) should get you a balanced game. As a beginner, you might look into adding more starting cash ("settings" button -> "economy" tab, but watch out as the starting year then is set in the "Settings" window rather than the "New Game" window). Selecting a starting year heavily depends on what you want to be playing with, so newer players tend to work with later years.

Artelas

Hello! Thank you.

Yes, sorry, it is Britain. How can I revert settings to default? I've already changed them  :)
Also not sure how to get them out of saves...

Catasteroid

There's a number of different things you can do to make your first game(s) easier, allow you to expand quicker and get to grips with the game:
Firstly there are three settings in the Settings dialog under the Economy tab;

• Starting_money - Usually about $150000-$500000/$150k-$500k depending on the timeline year, you can set this to $1000000 or $1000k/1m to give yourself a lot of money to experiment with things
  • First_beginner - Check this box to turn on beginner mode, this multiplies income by the beginner_price_factor and crossconnects all factories to one another if that's not already the case
  • Beginner_price_factor - Usually a default of 1250 or 125.0%/1.250x multiplier of all income figures, you can increase this to say 1500 or 2000 to receive 1.500x or 2.000x as much money from deliveries
You can also make the game easier for you by manipulating the map; opening the climate settings dialog and setting the mountain height to 100 or below, reducing the water level to -2 or so, turning off/unchecking the Hilly landscape box, checking the Cities ignore height box, reducing cities like water to 10 or so so they're spread across the map relatively evenly. All this serves to create a relatively flat map with cities distributed across it. Having a relatively flat map with few hills will make it less challenging to connect the cities and industries together.
You'll also want a map around 640x640 or larger with at least 25 cities and 5 big cities, you can use city clusters if you like I usually have 1500 median population, you'll probably want about 1000-1500 industries for 20-40 cities and 500-odd civic buildings.
Later timeline years will allow you to use more flexible, faster and more powerful modern vehicles, 1950-2000 is a good beginning timeline era.

After all that you can muck around making vehicles and learning how to make schedules but for your first money-making venture you'll probably want to aim for a bus/coach route between two cities which you can then try and connect with a local bus route feeding into the coach service, usually more passengers want to get to other settlements than within the settlement but together a local and intercity bus service can produce reliable income, you can scale this up into an intercity train service perhaps. You can also consider connecting a coal mine to a coal fired power station.
All in all the extra cash and income will make things easy for you while you're learning the ropes. Hope this helps.

Artelas

Thank you for such an extedned answer. I'm not looking for an easier game, rather a reasonable challenge. Making profitable lines in base Simutrans was easy :) I've tried to create a map with suggested parameters:
Size: 1024x1024
Cities: 32
Big cities: 5
City clusters: 2
City cluster size: 200
Median town population: 1500
Intercity road length: 512
Number of industries: 1400
Public buildings: 500
Starting year: 1750

So I have a map where all cities are clustered in one corner with the average distance 10-15 tiles. There are lots of industries on itercity roads.They are on both sides of the road having 1-2 tiles between them. As of my experience in base Simutrans, I can expect that this cluster will become one hudge city in 50-100 years. And number of inductries seems way to high. I literally can't place a station without covering 2-3 industries at a time.

Is everything correct? As of my experience of base Simutrans, I'm afraid it will become one hudge city in 50-100 years. And I cannot see a room for the new industries on a map.

Catasteroid

It's a bit different to standard Simutrans and freight balance is a little wonky currently as the output of producing industries is tied to real world data and producers will likely massively outnumber consumers, you'll likely have to do some modification of your maps as the public player to boost the number of consumers (any industries founded by cities are forced to be consumers to try and resolve this), you may also want to tidy up agricultural industry buildings with near to no fields crunched up against hills or inside cities if you see them or delete farms to create space for growth if you feel it necessary