News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Some thoughts of a new extended player

Started by Mariculous, July 01, 2019, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Hey there,
Some of my friends and me are back to Simutrans. This time we are trying out Simutrans-extended.
At first I want to thank the whole team for all of the awesome new features, especially max travelling time, pasenger classes, comfort and the new routing feature are great.
City electrification and the new rail signaling system also sound pretty interessting.
I know there are many more great features...

However, there are also some (bad- or undocumented) features that are extremely hard to understand.

NoInfo on some buildings where an info window woud be pretty helpful:
We had a staff shortage at an ironwork of a small city on an island that had many VeryLow/Low residental buildings nearby and didn't know why this happened since the city had a population of 2150 and just 938 Jobs.
I was trying to remove some commercial buildings in the city as suggested elsewhere but the city had no commercial buildungs.
I did not know yet that the yard and stops do also provide Jobs. in the case of the yard these were enough to drain all the workers of the little city because we had 3 players operating at the ironworks so we had 3 yards. Buildings that provide jobs should have an information window. I was wondering why there were commuters travelling to the yards so I had a look at the dat files and now I know that the yards provided 150 jobs each. However, it would be much easier to simply have an info window just like most other buildings, including the twonhall has an info window.

Jando

Quote from: Freahk on July 01, 2019, 02:51:19 AMWe had a staff shortage at an ironwork of a small city on an island that had many VeryLow/Low residental buildings nearby and didn't know why this happened since the city had a population of 2150 and just 938 Jobs.

Hello!

For the time being I would recommend to switch off the job and staffing feature. James is planning a complete overhaul of the town growth and creation mechanism in the future but that will need a lot of time. In the meantime it's possible to play the game when switching off the staff shortage mechanic:

1. Open the settings dialogue in-game, key i. 
2. Got to the extended dialogue tab.
3. Set the two minimum-staffing values in that tab both to zero.

Now industries will basically ignore the staffing percentages and produce/consume regardless of staffing levels.

Mariculous

Well there seems to be no staff shortage anywhere else on the map and the ironworks are ~70% staffed now just by removing the shipyard and some staging inns arround the island.
The main problem was just that nobody knew that these player buildings provide jobs. Simply not disabling the information window for these buildings would be a huge advantage so people know what's going on.

If there are more staffing issues in the future I will eventually disable the feature but currently it's not really a problem and I like the feature to be honest.