News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Passengers picking wrong train when 2 trains are waiting

Started by Jando, March 22, 2019, 03:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

Experimenting a bit with a passenger-only map I noticed something odd: passengers seemingly boarding the wrong train. :)

Let me explain, screenshot here:

Two trains in the screenshot are waiting for their schedule at Hartcester St. James. The two trains serve different lines, but will both run to the same next two stations before the routes split. Thus one train serves Hartcester-A-B-C-D, the other one serves Hartcester-A-B-E-F. So far so good. What I would expect now is that passengers departing Hartcester for A or B will pick the first train that arrives at their destinations - instead that is not what they do, they board the train that arrives later.

Saved game here, link valid for 60 days: https://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/AA_Wrongtrain.sve

How to observe: load above game, soon enough passengers for Holerham Broadway and Beltall (the next two stops for both waiting trains) will show up at the station. The passengers will not board the next train that leaves for these destinations but will board the other train that leaves 24 minutes later. Interesting observation: the train that leaves Hardcester 24 minutes later is the one that arrived at Hartcester earlier than the other train. I wonder if passengers pick the train that arrived first instead of the train that departs first. :)

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I believe that I have now fixed this; I should be grateful if you could re-check with the next nightly build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteHow to observe: load above game, soon enough passengers for Holerham Broadway and Beltall (the next two stops for both waiting trains) will show up at the station. The passengers will not board the next train that leaves for these destinations but will board the other train that leaves 24 minutes later. Interesting observation: the train that leaves Hardcester 24 minutes later is the one that arrived at Hartcester earlier than the other train. I wonder if passengers pick the train that arrived first instead of the train that departs first.
For best results they should be picking the train that gets them to their destination soonest from the current point in time, irrespective of if it is the next train or the one after that.

This is important because it is required for express services to work. Train A might get them to their destination slower than train B arriving at their current stop 30 minutes later because train B is an express train taking a shorter and faster route with less stops to their destination.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on March 22, 2019, 11:00:59 PMThank you for your report. I believe that I have now fixed this; I should be grateful if you could re-check with the next nightly build.

Awfully sorry, James. Still seeing this behaviour with the latest nightly.

jamespetts

I have had a report of a similar bug from another user which I believe that I have fixed. I should be grateful if you could test whether this issue has been fixed with to-morrow's (or a later) nightly build.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 13, 2019, 09:43:16 PM
I have had a report of a similar bug from another user which I believe that I have fixed. I should be grateful if you could test whether this issue has been fixed with to-morrow's (or a later) nightly build.

Awfully sorry, I'm still seeing passengers boarding the wrong train, i.e. the train that arrives at their destination later.

jamespetts

Quote from: Jando on April 18, 2019, 10:49:13 AM
Awfully sorry, I'm still seeing passengers boarding the wrong train, i.e. the train that arrives at their destination later.

Is this still reproducible in the reproduction case in the opening post of this thread?

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 18, 2019, 12:54:06 PMIs this still reproducible in the reproduction case in the opening post of this thread?

Yep, James, I'm seeing the behaviour described in the original post with today's nightly.

jamespetts

Quote from: Jando on April 18, 2019, 03:19:33 PM
Yep, James, I'm seeing the behaviour described in the original post with today's nightly.

Incidentally, one thing that I forgot to mention: the problem affects stored data. The fix does not erase the old stored data, but only corrects new data. Therefore, the fix will not operate immediately on loading an old saved game, but only after the data has had time to refresh.

Can I confirm that you have let the vehicles run a full cycle of their schedules and that you are able to reproduce this issue in a saved game whose vehicles have run a full cycle of their schedules after the application of the fix? If so, I should be grateful if you could upload such a saved game.

My apologies for having omitted this information previously.

Jando

Thanks for the info, James, I re-test over the weekend.

Jando

Loaded the saved game from the original post with today's newest version, saved game was April 1867. Let it run on fast forward for several in-game day-months. Checked passenger routing again in September 1867. Still seeing passengers boarding the wrong train, i.e. the train that arrives at their destination later.

Saved game from September is here (link valid for 60 days): https://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/AA_Wrongtrain3.sve

On loading this saved game you see vehicles #22 and #48 waiting for their schedule at Hartcester Monument. Both trains have Holerham Broadway and Beltall as their next destinations. Vehicle #22 will leave Hartcester and arrive at Holerham and Beltall first, vehicle #48 will leave and arrive 24 minutes later. After a few minutes passengers for these destinations will be generated and will board the train that arrives later.

Some detail in case it matters: both lines are scheduled to operate every 48 minutes, however, the line from vehicle #48 has a 24-minute shift in it's schedule, giving me an effective departure from Hartcester to Holerham and Beltall every 24 minutes.

jamespetts

I am afraid that the saved game with the reproduction case for this has now expired. My apologies for not having been able to look at this last year: my work on Simutrans was greatly hampered by a failing computer.

I should be grateful if you could re-upload the saved game.

jamespetts

I have pushed a partial fix to the issue discussed here, which Feahk suspects may also fix this issue. I should be grateful if anyone could confirm whether this can be reproduced.