News:

Beta test the new forum at https://simutrans.forum/
Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Line Scheduling for simutrans standard

Started by THLeaderH, April 29, 2019, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

It would be more or less trivial for the UI to have only a + and - button to adjust the time, just like your alarm clock often. That would give you as much precision as you can achieve.

Vladki

What I see as a problem is not precision (ticks vs. minutes) but the cycle length. All schedules have to sync at some time. Be it either beginning of month, year, or tick counter overflow. And then all schedules have to be fractions of that cycle.

I cannot see a working schedule with period of 0.9 cycles (in whatever units)

I do not think that we have to make it extra foolproof in case someone has a complex timetabled network and then decides to change bits per month...

Leartin

I don't think you need an actual cycle if you define the schedule with months. As long as it is "X times per month" or "Every Xth month" or "Each month at X" - you are bound to a monthly cycle by how you enter the information, even if internally it could technically be "every 7 ticks", as long as the player can't set that it would be fine.

If there is no issue with conversion (I'm not convinced, but all the better if there is no issue) the game would store the information with month-independent ticks. As such, if the player sets "Every month", the game converts it to "Every 1440 ticks", and if bpms were changed afterwards, it would still be 1440 ticks, but now it's "Every second month", or "twice per month", depending on how it was changed.
Even if you were unable to set a schedule where three trains leave in two months, due to limitations on what you can enter, you could change bpm, have three trains per month, and change bpm back to spread them over two months, since tickwise, it's the same. The trains would still go at the same real-times, but you could not set it to that again if you were to edit the schedule.

Mariculous

Wooooow, I haven't been in this part of the forums since I sstarted extenden but this is really awesome!

QuoteDelay tolerance feature is added. In simutrans-extended, delay is not allowed at all. Even if the delay is only a single second, the train is forced to wait until the next period. My version has a parameter called "delay tolerance" and players can specify how long the delay is allowed. This realizes more flexible scheduling. In the figure below, the duration of one month is 1440. There are 6 times when convoys are allowed to depart. Spacing shift is 25, and delay is allowed up to 50.

Could I kindly ask you how difficult it would be to port this to extended as there has been a discussion about this feature in the extended part of the forum. It would be really great to get this feature in extended.