News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

settings.xml

Started by z9999, April 13, 2009, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z9999

This is not a bug report but a kind of request.

Original simutrans can't read settings.xml of Simutrans-Experimental.
So, if once we played Simutrans-Experimental, next time original simutrans always crash when starting.
So, I must delete settings.xml every time.

This is very frustrating for me. Because this file include many user settings, and I must set them again.
So, currently I changed the attribute of settings.xml as read-only. This works well.
But if possible, please consider not to destroy the original version of settings.xml.
Thank you.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, I see. Perhaps a solution could be to rename it to settings-experimental.xml, so that it leaves the settings.xml for Simutrans-Standard in tact?

Edit: Suggestion incorporated into 2.1, and a bug relating to reading from settings.xml also fixed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

whoami

As the savegames are also incompatible, it would make sense to separate the entire directory tree, but allow ST-exp to load savegames from standard ST.

Alternatively, the user can change the parameter for single user install, so stuff will be kept under the ST-exp installation.

jamespetts

Hmm, how do you envisage this working? Save games are only incompatible in one direction: i.e., Simutrans-Experimental can load Simutrans-Standard games, but Simutrans-Standard cannot load Simutrans-Experimental games. How would you suggest that things be organised?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

whoami

What I meant: store ST-exp-specific files into a different structure, e.g. under "My Documents\Simutrans-Experimental". This refers to settings and savegames. ST-exp should still include the settings for standard ST (at least "My Documents\Simutrans\simuconf.tab"), and include its savegames into the list of loadable savegames (same for maps).

This should support alternating use of both programs.

jamespetts

Hmm, that might get complicated. I shall have to consider that further.