News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

A hint of German in the English pak64 translation

Started by Ters, February 05, 2013, 08:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

(This might just as well belong on the pak64 forum.)

I just noticed that the refinery in pak64 is called "Oil Refinery (B+KS)". My guess is that B+KS actually is German. The other refinery, which seems to only be for old games before a chain was transferred from the chemical plant (the version translated as a refinery), is fully translated as "Oil Refinery (Gasoline)".

I suggest dropping the parenthesis for the non-deprecated factories. It just clutters up.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Ters on February 05, 2013, 08:42:55 PM
"Oil Refinery (B+KS)". My guess is that B+KS actually is German.

My first thought actually was "No, it's not German" since I (as a German) couldn't come up with any idea what it could mean... but after about... uh.. 30 seconds or so (plus or minus 15), it dawned on me: it probably is German, an abbreviation for Benzin (=gasoline) and Kunststoff (=plastic)...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Ters

That's what I figured out, in just about the same time, except I only know German as a third language (formally, informally it's the fifth). I just didn't write out the German words because I didn't bother finding the correct spelling for Benzin. (In hindsight, I probably could have used the spell checker.) The words are almost the same as in my native Norwegian, but I had to make the leap from Plastik (the internal name in pak64) to Kunststoff.

prissi