News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Comic borderlines around and behind transparent walls

Started by Václav, February 23, 2020, 09:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

Hi, again,

I would like to ask where to place comic borderlines around and behind transparent walls. I think about two following ways:

1. like in old way - borderlines are used like if wall would be fully missing
2. new way - borderlines are used like if wall would be non-transparent
3. something between both previous (reasonable combination of both)

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Flemmbrav

The usual, but transparent as well?
I do a lot of these darker lines instead of full black lines on my drawings.

Leartin

I'm not sure the outline rules are consistent between p192c and p96c, so there is that.

To me, a transparent wall is created by pixelling everything behind it normally, then putting the transparent wall in front of it. I use normal blending.
If the transparent thing has no solid frame, it needs an outline, and it stands to reason that this outline would be transparent as well. I don't think it has to be black in that case, rather share a tint with the object.

Attached is a glass pane asset from p192c. You can clearly see how anything behind the panes gets a bluish tint, and how it uses a semitransparent outline.
Though I'm sure there are many places where it would look off, and where a decision would need to be made on a case-by-case basis.

Václav

Current situation in built head station is following as both attachments show.

Platforms:
single glass (in lighter special colours - 96,132,167 and 227,227,255) is shifted to level of roof's upper side
borderlines are placed as if there glass would not be (but glass makes inner borderline on roof's bottom side almost invisible)

Central waiting hall:
single glass (in lighter special colours - 96,132,167 and 227,227,255) has surrounding of the same thickness
borderlines are around all glass

Both previews were prepared in double size.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní