News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

ETCS [ERTMS] was first used/introduced/designed in 2000

Started by fam621, June 29, 2019, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Hi James, just passing on some information reguarding ETCS/ERTMS, it was first used/introduced/designed in 2000.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know; however, to which level are you referring? ETRMS level 1 is, so far as the things simulated in Simutrans is concerned, not significantly different to ordinary track circuit block signalling. It is ETRMS level 2 (cab signalling) that is the significant innovation in functional terms, and it is the introduction date of that which is relevant.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

Quote from: jamespetts on July 07, 2019, 10:09:21 AM
Thank you for letting me know; however, to which level are you referring? ETRMS level 1 is, so far as the things simulated in Simutrans is concerned, not significantly different to ordinary track circuit block signalling. It is ETRMS level 2 (cab signalling) that is the significant innovation in functional terms, and it is the introduction date of that which is relevant.

TBH, I'm not sure because theres no real information on which Level was introduced first.

Rollmaterial

It is a matter of what is relevant to the pak. If that is introduction in the UK, then it would be inconsistent with introducing TVM in 1981, which is the introduction date in France, instead of 1994 when the Chunnel opened. However, the introduction of the APT may constitute a good reason for that.

fam621

Quote from: Rollmaterial on July 07, 2019, 07:00:41 PM
It is a matter of what is relevant to the pak. If that is introduction in the UK, then it would be inconsistent with introducing TVM in 1981, which is the introduction date in France, instead of 1994 when the Chunnel opened. However, the introduction of the APT may constitute a good reason for that.

True point

jamespetts

The relevant point, I think, is when ETRMS level 2 would first have been available to any hypothetical railway company in the UK, not necessarily when it was, in fact, first installed in the UK.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

According to the german Wikipedia, the first ETCS tests were in November 2000 in Italy on the track Florenz Campo di Marte–Arezzo, which was ETCS L2 already.
In autumn 2001 the first commercial use of ETCS L1 started in Hungary on the track Zalaegerszeg–Zalalövö–Hodoš
In the end of the year 2002 (no exact date given) the first commercial use of ETCS L2 started in Switzerland.

These dates and jamespatt's statement given, an introduction between November 2000 and December 2002

jamespetts

Thank you for that. I could not find the date of 2002 given. According to this Wikipedia article, the first introduction in Switzerland was in February 2006, so I have put the introduction date for this equipment back to then.

Mariculous

"According to this Wikipedia article, the first introduction in Switzerland was in February 2006"
Well that Wikipedia article is not exacty correct however this could be the best choice for introducing ETCS L2 to pak128.britain.

The first introduction of ETCS L2 in Switzerland was at April 27. 2002 at the line Sempach-Zofingen.
On this track ETCS L2 was tested before the final specifications of this system were made.
Not just a few test trains, but any line using this track had to use ETCS L2 there because the signals were removed.
Because the installed ETCS L2 hardware was not compatible to the updated ETCS specifications, the ETCS was removed and replaced by signals on this track in November 30. 2003

At least this is what the gearman Wikipedia article says https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETCS_in_der_Schweiz#Versuchsstrecke_Zofingen%E2%80%93Sempach

I found a question about this in the Question and Answering page of the parliament of Switzerland which confirms the date but does not explicitly state that ETCS L2 was tested there. https://www.parlament.ch/de/ratsbetrieb/suche-curia-vista/geschaeft?AffairId=20033654

jamespetts

The date of introduction of an early, incompatible test system does not seem to be a sensible date for our purposes: the sensible date is the introduction date of the final, production system, which is February 2006.