News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[r8774] City Limit expansion

Started by danivenk, July 03, 2019, 08:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danivenk

Recently I found some strange movement of the city borders when building new buildings near or just over it.
When you build a new building near the city border (inside or outside) it becomes the building of the nearest city, not the city of the nearest buildings...
Even though the latter would make more sense...
Is this just how the city finding process works (the first one)?

EDIT: I think it would make sense if a building is built, it first looks at it's surrounding buildings for which city they belong to. If there aren't any around it looks for the nearest city hall. This is even more important at or near the city border.

EDIT2: seems that this also happens in r8750....

I hope to hear a fast reply

DrSuperGood

Probably down to how nearby cities are resolved. The issue is that two cities can overlap. This is not possible in real life as borders and agreements are defined for governing purposes.

From what I can imagine the best solution would be to change how cities grow so that they are not limited to a single large rectangle. With this cities can then respect the borders of other cities assuring that no cities overlap. However this is likely a lot of work and very complicated which would be why it does not happen already.

danivenk

I see it looks at what the nearest center is of the neighboring cities...
Since this isn't a bug then I'd like to make a suggestion, would it be possible to have the user be able to choose which city a building belongs to?
I would not know how to implement this but else it can be really a pain in the **** if you try and make a highly dense city-complex (multiple cities almost touching each other)
(Could a moderator either say this is impossible and close the thread or move this thread to the suggestions section...)

prissi

Overlapping city areas will grow denser automatically since the buildings there have a twice as high chance to be renovated to a higher level. Either from city A or B ...