News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Stupid Question : Why Raven as a guest?

Started by Qayyum, August 19, 2008, 03:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qayyum

Yeah, a very very stupid question:P. But for those who don't want to answer this very stupid question, don't read this:

In the old forum, Raven came as a guest. I wonder why? ???

I'm a newbie, so I apologize for my curiosity.
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

PatrickN

Yeah, whatever happened to Raven.  He kind of dropped off the radar.  It's been nearly 2 years since I talked to him on msn.  I heard he didn't have access to a computer, but then his account vanished, too.

Painter, in and out of retirement.

Joker

Unfortunalty Raven has left us for now. Real Life called him away. He is missed here  :'( But Im sure you are real quiet you can hear him tinkering away down in his workshop! ;)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

PatrickN

No, I'm afraid not.  The sounds of the Atlantic Ocean muffle his tinkering noise far too much for me to hear him.  I guess he is a little like me.  He did so much so fast he burned out.

mobo

Quote from: PatrickN on August 19, 2008, 04:32:43 AM
No, I'm afraid not.  The sounds of the Atlantic Ocean muffle his tinkering noise far too much for me to hear him.  I guess he is a little like me.  He did so much so fast he burned out.

curious: just as i read this the radio behind me played "My my hey hey" by Neill Young, the song contains the famous line: "it's better to burn out than to fade away".

Before ha quit i had a chat with him (chat.simutrans.com). We both agreed that we don't actually play the game anymore (every game becomes boring after a while) and that doing graphics is the real fun for us. So maybe he found some other graphical challenge. However he's not a member anymore but won't be forgotten.

vilvoh

Well, as far as I know (I talked with him few days before he leave us) It was something related with his job and studies as Joker said. Anyway If Hajo has returned to the forum after a long break, why is not going to happen the same with Raven? We hope so... ::)

BTW, I'm completly agree with this statement too.
Quote from: mobo on August 19, 2008, 08:46:10 AM
We both agreed that we don't actually play the game anymore (every game becomes boring after a while) and that doing graphics is the real fun for us.

I haven't played Simutrans for more than half an hour since a long time....

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

BTW, the actual reason he was a "Guest" as opposed to a normal member was because he had the technical capability to delete his account, which he used.

Any forum administrator, for example, has that power. Otherwise, approval of forum admins must be given before an account will be deleted.

Personally, I hate account deletion, so I would not approve it outside of extraordinary circumstances...

Also, I miss Raven. :/

PatrickN

I wondered if he had deleted his own account when I saw it listed as "Guest".  I only talked to him on msn a few times, but he always seemed like a nice guy.  We all know how much work he did on several projects.  Like was said earlier, I was not expecting Hajo to return to simutrans after he retired, so there is always hope that Raven will come back to us some day.  I blame him for my 2 1/2 year addition to ogame.org. haha

VS

I heard some rumors... that he's in Iran :o Who knows.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Raven

Well...

I guess an explanation is due.

Real life was a drama source some time ago, and I don't really like drama perpetuating or overflooding, so I decided to stop it right there, right then. Those days, I often used Simutrans to evade, the problem is it also prevented me to solve what was really troubling me.

Now, nearly 2 years after, a lot of stuff has come and gone.

23 years, close to 24 now.

Still trying to get trough the two careers I'm knee deep in.

Been to many places, travelled a lot across the country.

Worked in a varied sort of projects.

Finally got to meet some people at university, got to play some old tablegames.
Stellar crusade? Formula Dé?

Working for an engineering bureau, for nearly 10 months now, but not yet in Iran! Madrid is fine for me.

Also done some pixelworks

And after losing everything yet again (sigh), I got to start again with Blender.
(Here you have a wide screen wall paper)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/GranCuervoRojo/emdf7-st2.png

I've recently moved to a student apartment in 82th Princesa Street, quite interesting views I must add!

Got this little jewel

And not much more really! Learnt a lot of things these past months, and the tinkering yards are open again.

Hope you people are fine, it's been a long while.

Best regards

PD: Sorry for closing the acount Isaac, I needed a radical change back then.

kierongreen

He returns! Welcome back!

Maybe this will encourage me to get more involved again :)

jbode

Isaac Eiland-Hall

With Hajo and Rojo back, I'd say this community is regaining some of its mojo. :D

Welcome back, sir. I missed you dearly.

And I completely understand about deleting your account - I had to do something similar at another community recently - to make a clean break with something that was taking up way too much of my time. :D

yoshi

Raven

Thanks people, now where to begin? I'll try to take on small projects this time, one at a time.

Qayyum

QuoteAnd after losing everything yet again (sigh), I got to start again with Blender.
Didn't you make a backup? That will save you from these disasters ;).

Anyways, nice to see you again. I love your don't-know-how-to-say-but-it's-eye-poppingly-awesome graphics ;D.
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

Ashley

Quote from: Rojo on August 27, 2008, 12:50:36 PM
Thanks people, now where to begin? I'll try to take on small projects this time, one at a time.

If you're interested I have a small request to make for some slightly custom graphics, to use with a little project I've been working on recently (mostly for testing initially). Should only really involve rendering something you already have though (a loco, carriage and some kind of road vehicle to begin with).

Nice to have you back though, those are some very impressive looking pixel-art houses :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 27, 2008, 12:34:39 PM
With Hajo and Rojo back, I'd say this community is regaining some of its mojo. :D

Rojo? I don't know any Rojo. :(

(LOL)

Welcome back your "self-user-profile" killer. I recognized you when I saw your photo here because I had seen "similar thing" in my MSN... ;)

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I have a request for you to *consider*: Check out the new elevated way possibilities (roads, for example - but I think nearly all ways can now be elevated) and see if you feel like filling in a gap...

Or perhaps a series of projects that will eventually be able to be collectively turned into a basic rendered pak. For this to work, would have to choose 64 or 128 (I vote 128), and take each piece one at a time with no rush... ;-)

You know how useless I am to help you - I'm still willing, but I still don't think I manage to do much. But for anything you need me for, I'm here. :D

prissi

Wellcome back. Take it slowly.

If you like, pak64 could use a GG1 with a stripe (probably 2nd) playercolor. I did not succeed atpixeling that beast ....

Ashley

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 27, 2008, 04:26:31 PM
I have a request for you to *consider*: Check out the new elevated way possibilities (roads, for example - but I think nearly all ways can now be elevated) and see if you feel like filling in a gap...

Or perhaps a series of projects that will eventually be able to be collectively turned into a basic rendered pak. For this to work, would have to choose 64 or 128 (I vote 128), and take each piece one at a time with no rush... ;-)

I never did finish that did I? hmm... :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

Spike

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Timothy on August 27, 2008, 08:45:45 PM
I never did finish that did I? hmm... :)

Much to my chagrin. ;-)

I found out, through experimentation, that while I was able to use existing roads to make my US road sets, that really pushed the limits of my graphical abilites... hehehe

Colin

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Joker

Wow! its good to see you again Bud!!!! Glad to hear things are a bit better now. And yes please take it eay around here. We don't wanna lose you again!

Cheers Joker

BTW Should Raven have his Devotee status put on?  ;)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Joker on August 29, 2008, 12:41:12 AM
BTW Should Raven have his Devotee status put on?  ;)

::)

Quote from: Rojo's profile saysRojo
Devotee, Web Team

It had been done before... ;D

Joker

Lol yeah I just noticed that! Im so blind!

IgorEliezer

Ah.... my glasses!... where are my glasses?!

*poking around*

:D

Ashley

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 27, 2008, 09:39:56 PM
Much to my chagrin. ;-)

I found out, through experimentation, that while I was able to use existing roads to make my US road sets, that really pushed the limits of my graphical abilites... hehehe

Well here, christmas has come early for you ;)

Might still be a while before I finish them though...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ah, that's beautiful :D

*grovels, bows, all that good stuff* :D

mobo

Grrreetings from Gerrrmany!

Nice to hear you're still around.  :)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Timothy on September 19, 2008, 10:22:26 PM
Might still be a while before I finish them though...

Isn't it for Pak64?

What a pity... :'(

Ashley

Generally speaking, when pixel-painting, it is easier to make something in pak128 scale first, then rework it for pak64 (I learnt this through the whole MLM thing...)

The original request was for a pak128 set also :)

Fabio

Well, i just discovered this thread now, i was kinda missing myself, too, at that time... i just want to say you HI Rojo, i was missing you...