The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Unified Symbols for Signals  (Read 269 times)

Offline Leartin at

• Devotee
  • PAK-DEV P192C
  • Languages: DE, EN
Unified Symbols for Signals
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Dear Simutrans-Pakset-Maintainers.

I have a proposal to all of you. A bit like an extension request, except there is no programming involved.

To make it short: Whenever I switch paksets, I have issues with signals, because most of the time, the icon only shows what the signal will look like. And even if the resultion wasn't a 32x32 px button, that wouldn't help me, since I wouldn't understand the signal anyway.

For pak192.comic, I recently did something rather drastic:

Essentially, unless you open a submenu, you will not see what a signal looks like, only what it does. (Possible thanks to userfriendlys patch a few months ago). This is for two reasons: I think it's more important for "gameplay"-players to know the functionality of a signal than it is to know what it looks like, and any "model railway"-player might appriciate that with this, the base pak can include any number of different looking and functionless signals without overblowing the menu in any way.

As a side effect, all signals got their own symbols in a corner. They actually had them before, but less visible and with a less unified look.

My proposal is that other paksets do the same, with the same symbols - or other symbols we can all decide on. Just so anyone who switches between paksets and already learned how to use a signal can simply identify the same signal in another pakset and use it just like before.

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns
  • Languages: EN, CS
Re: Unified Symbols for Signals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »
In pak128.cs we did something similar. All signals have a letter in the bottom right corner: S O P L C E. (signal, one-way, pre-, long-, choose-signal, end of choose.)

And BTW what is the signal with red arrow?

Offline Leartin at

• Devotee
  • PAK-DEV P192C
  • Languages: DE, EN
Re: Unified Symbols for Signals
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:04:06 AM »
It's the player gate that only allows certain players through. The arrow is in player-color.