The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: How to enforce bridge with high, low, or no ramp?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns
  • Languages: EN, CS
How to enforce bridge with high, low, or no ramp?
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Have a look at at 855,482 in this save: http://list.extended.simutrans.org/debug-saves/bridges.sve
There is a ship channel one level below road ends. If you try to build a bridge as the owner of the channel or public player, it will be flat - leaving low clearance (only for barges): screen92

If you build with ctrl (or as some other player), a full height bridge will be built, although a half-height would be enough for high boats to pass. And thus it is slowing down the road vehicles: screen93

There is a workaround, but not easy for newbies to make up. Raise at leas one end of the road one level up and then build the bridge: screen94

What I wanted to build would look like this. But that required raising the channel, building a low bridge and lowering the channel again: screen95

It would be nice if building with ctrl would check the needed clearance and build only low (or even flat) bridge if it would be high enough. Or maybe there already is some hidden way how to enforce low bridge to be built?

Offline ACarlotti

Re: How to enforce bridge with high, low, or no ramp?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
This has been previously discussed here.

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Oh, yes. And I think your proposed solution is good:
I think the improved behaviour here would be to have Ctrl build a bridge that is one level higher than would be built without pressing Ctrl (if that is possible). Does that sound right?

Offline Matthew

• Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »
The proposed solution also seems a good idea to me.

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
Maybe it should be the other way around. Default to high clearance (or the one specified in simuconf.tab as need) as if building over other players road, and use ctrl for lower bridge.

Offline Elemental

• Languages: EN, DE
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
Maybe only force high bridges if the pakset contains a vehicle for whatever type of way you are bridging over that actually requires the heigth. For example, barge, narrowboat and tubboat canals in the british pakset only have low height barges anyway.

Offline ACarlotti

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
Maybe it should be the other way around. Default to high clearance (or the one specified in simuconf.tab as need) as if building over other players road, and use ctrl for lower bridge.
This would create inconsistencies in the case where you're bridging over empty land that you might put a road along later. If the road isn't there, then I think the bridge should default to low. If there were a road there, I think it should still default to low.

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
I disagree. Imho more consistent (and beginner friendly) is to build always high bridge, regardless of what is underneath. And as advanced feature with ctrl build low bridge if permitted.

Offline Ranran jp

• Languages: ja
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
Building a low bridge will disturb the tiles below. So usually you can not build a low bridge over the tiles owned by others.
When the lower tile is empty and the lower bridge is built there, it seems like a kind of cheating if the lower tile is not purchased by the bridge owner at the same time.
Therefore I support the idea of Vladki.