News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Auto UnderGround Mode follow convoi

Started by shingoushori, August 10, 2019, 08:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shingoushori

Hello
Let me introduce the new extension "Auto UnderGround Mode follow convoi".

if ctrl key pressed with follow convoi button, this mode sets.
This mode is ...
When the convoi which followed enters the underground, it automatically sets the underground mode,
adjusts the height cut level according to the altitude followed in realtime.

and this is the demonstration movie on my exe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3NYT2e4Q8

additionally,
I'm sure this my sample codes has concern about performance,
because I focused on the points to realize my ideas when I created, sorry.

I hope you like it. Thanks for reading.

Ranran(retired)

(´・ω・`)おほーっ!
(´・ω・`)哇噢!太棒了!
(´・ω・`)Woohoo! FANTASTIC!
(´・ω・`)빵 사이에 햄을 끼워했습니다
(´・ω・`)/Sieg Simutrans!
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Leartin

Matthew

[EN] This is indeed amazing.

[DE] Wunderbar!
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

prissi

I think this is a sensible default, and should be rather a setting in simuconf.tab, or a visible setting. Usually the follow a vehicle dialogue is seldom used but for making movies. Then toggle a setting in simuconf.tab or a button in a dialogue is not too much effort.

shingoushori

I am very glad to receive your replies.

Quote from: prissi on August 13, 2019, 01:15:28 PMUsually the follow a vehicle dialogue is seldom used but for making movies.
Yes, I think so, but that's so fun !!

I think that this modest operability (if ctrl key pressed) is a reasonable scale for this modification.
There is just a good precedent function : start_all_convoys of depot.

Rather, I am the opposite for add this on simuconf.tab and save data.
Because of compatibility, for this level of functionality, it is not my intention ...

DrSuperGood

Can we confirm the performance of this with very large maps, e.g. 8,000x6,000? This is to make sure it is not using any legacy underground mode transition code paths which required recalculating graphics for every tile in the map and so suffered performance issues with large maps. If working correctly the transitions should be smooth (instant, as good as no frame drops) even on the largest of maps. I would test myself but due to hardware failure I lack the RAM to test such maps at current.

Ters

People who use this feature probably switch to underground manually most of the time already, at least I do, so the performance would be the same. While better underground performance would be good, it has got little to do with this feature.

One issue is whether it should be possible to specify full underground or sliced underground. Once this is a setting, one might add "disabled" as well, just in case.

DrSuperGood

Quote from: Ters on August 26, 2019, 12:11:29 PMWhile better underground performance would be good, it has got little to do with this feature.
If it is not using the smooth transition code a underground transition could freeze the game for 2-8 seconds on very big maps depending on hardware. Hardly a seamless experience.

The code for smooth underground mode changes is already in standard. I was just asking to make sure it is using the code instead of falling back to any legacy code which might not have been removed.

It is currently missing from extended as it has not been back ported yet.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on August 26, 2019, 11:43:47 PMIf it is not using the smooth transition code a underground transition could freeze the game for 2-8 seconds on very big maps depending on hardware. Hardly a seamless experience.

The code for smooth underground mode changes is already in standard. I was just asking to make sure it is using the code instead of falling back to any legacy code which might not have been removed.
I got mistracked by all the mentioning of checking the performance. Checking for misuse of undead code is done through code review, not performance measurements in my world. As such I assumed that there is only one way to switch to underground (as there should be, unless there are compelling reasons for having one fast-but-glitchy method and one correct-but-slow method), and that it might be considered fast enough when the player explicitly asks for it once in a while, but not for when it might trigger implicitly and repeatedly.

prissi

Incorporated with reduced full redraws in -r8832