The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: [Feature request] Line Scheduling update  (Read 688 times)

Offline Freahk

• Languages: DE, EN
[Feature request] Line Scheduling update
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
I really like the line scheduling feature.
It is essential that it works the way ist does to allow single tracked lines used by multiple trains before time interval signaling with telegraph or even token block was invented.
Also later on it is still useful but the fixed time slots don't allow for any delay without high time reserves at these stops.

For railway lines without level-crossings this is not a huge problem as max. travel times are well calculable, assuming a network where all lines are scheduled.

However, most lines don't have such a setup. Addditionally, road traffic has some completely uncalculable factors, also known as private cars which makes it pretty impossible to create a relyable schedule.

I propose an additional "max. delated departure" settings at scheduled stops.

btw. are posts like this better placed in the dev forums or in here?
This value sets a time interval in which a vehicle may depart the station even if it missed the last schedule slot, given that the last schedule slot was not used.
Naturally, a value of 0 means "when delayed, use the next schedule", which is the current behaviour, but one could use higher values where the exact departure is not that important as long as it is after some point in time.

This is often the case when a track is used by intercity and local trains. The local trains schedule will let the intercity train pass while waiting at a station.
Currently, if the local train is late, the intercity train can still overtake but due to the fixed schedule slot, the local train will wait for the next slot instead of leaving the station when it could still get back in time a few stations later.

Using the "max. delated departure" setting, the player can define when a train can get back in time, so it should continue its journey and when it can't.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:01:54 PM by Freahk »

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns
  • Languages: EN, CS
Re: [Feature request] Line Scheduling update
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Yeah, I would also like to see such delayed departure feature.

Offline Phystam jp

• Pak256.Ex developer
  • Languages: JP, EN, EO
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Yes, it will be very useful for us. Can we have a default setting for the tolerable time in simuconf.tab?

Offline Freahk

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »
What do you mean by a default setting in simuconft.tab?
When it's just some number that will be pre selected when creating a new "wait for time" stop in a schedule I'm fine with it but it should always be possible to manually set this to 0.
However, having savegame compatibility in mind, when loading saves from versions that did not have this feature, the default value should always be 0 otherwise, it could easily break early years schedule based single tracked drive_by_sight networks.
Also any other single tracked networks would be affected when a delayed train is entering a single tracked section when not being in a specific time frame, so the other train will be delayed, which can quickly snowball to all trains on that line running late.

Furthermore, I think any value other than "don't depart delayed" (max_delay_time=0) or "always depart when delayed"(max_delay_time=<time of one month>) strongly depends on the line frequency, other lines using that track and the track itself.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:28:39 PM by Freahk »

Offline Phystam jp

• Pak256.Ex developer
  • Languages: JP, EN, EO
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
Single tracked network with drive_by_sight is very dangerous... Such network usually makes severe stuck...
Anyway, in default, (if the delay tolerable time is not set) I agree with your opinion, it should be 0.
however, if you want to set the tolerable time for all scheduled stops, it will take much time to set them. not to spend much time, we have to have a user-configurable setting for this feature.

Offline Freahk

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
As long as the network is small and there are no level crossings with roads, which is always true for early networks, there won't be any factors that you can't calculate.
My first network was of that exact type. It had two lines and 5 trains on it and worked perfectly without deadlocking for 15 ingame years, which is much mre than any other type of network I ever yet created.

Well for scheduled stops you have to set the shift anyway. Setting the max tolerable time would be just another one. However, one could set some default value for new scheduled stops, so for scheduled networks one could simply set this to 0 manually.

Offline Matthew gb

• Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
As long as the network is small and there are no level crossings with roads, which is always true for early networks, there won't be any factors that you can't calculate.

Why won't there be any level crossings with roads? I know that the gate graphics don't appear with gates until ~1835, but they still function as level crossings, don't they?

My first network was of that exact type. It had two lines and 5 trains on it and worked perfectly without deadlocking for 15 ingame years, which is much mre than any other type of network I ever yet created.

Well for scheduled stops you have to set the shift anyway. Setting the max tolerable time would be just another one. However, one could set some default value for new scheduled stops, so for scheduled networks one could simply set this to 0 manually.

Offline Freahk

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:23:32 PM »
You are right, level crossings before 1835 don't have gates but still work the same as later level crossings with gates.
However these aren't available in very early rail transport from ~1750 to ~1770

Due to this restriction early railway lines have to be designed without level crossings.

Offline Matthew gb

• Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:02:36 AM »
You are right, level crossings before 1835 don't have gates but still work the same as later level crossings with gates.
However these aren't available in very early rail transport from ~1750 to ~1770

Due to this restriction early railway lines have to be designed without level crossings.

Thank you for explaining your point. It seems that the misunderstanding was caused by different definitions of "early".  :D