News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[BUG] Debian package's pak128.Britain-Ex is inconsistent with nightly

Started by Matthew, August 27, 2019, 12:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I downloaded the Debian package that James kindly provides on Bridgewater-Brunel and set up a server on an Ubuntu VPS. I tried to connect to it using a Windows client running the latest pak128.Britain-Ex pakset, downloaded using the Nightly Updater (which at the time was 11 August). However, there was a mismatch between the paksets. I downloaded the latest nightly pakset tarball to the server and this matched the Windows version (and was playable after other changes to be posted in other bug reports).

The Debian package contains two versions of the British pakset: Pak128.Britain-Ex (with upper-case P) and pak128.Britain-Ex (with lower-case p). There are minor differences between them (for example, the latter has DOG_WALKER pedestrian paks). Comparing them with the nightly tarball in Krusader showed that both Debian versions had many duplicate files which looked like liveries from before the creation of the current livery system.

So it appears possible that the script used to create the package is accidentally using an outdated repository.

The Debian package also contains this pakset's .dat and image files. This is a matter of preference rather a bug, but it surprised me that an already large download/unpack was being made larger (the source files are just over a third of the unpacked data).
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Spenk009

The linux script is outdated and not up to scratch. If you could create a better script, it would be very much appreciated as there are quite a few linux players out there that have trouble making their own executables/paksets.

Matthew

Quote from: Spenk009 on August 29, 2019, 06:28:49 PM
The linux script is outdated and not up to scratch. If you could create a better script, it would be very much appreciated as there are quite a few linux players out there that have trouble making their own executables/paksets.

I managed to write a functioning .deb control file a couple of weeks ago, but then I lost it. I have a horrible feeling that I made it in the /tmp directory (where archives are unpacked by default) and it got flushed on reboot.  :-[

I have some ideas for improving the Debian script, but I am effectively a Linux newbie (I haven't touched any *nix in more than a decade), so I thought I'd start with reporting the simplest bugs.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。