News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Server disconnection while using multitile city building

Started by Phystam, September 01, 2019, 12:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phystam

we pak256-Ex team have experimentally introduced multitile city building, but it causes server disconnection.
I cannot provide the save data and the server since I am not in my home, if you introduced multitile city buildings in pak128.Britain-Ex, then you can observe that issue.

Matthew

I have been playing with multi-tile city buildings for several months. I only started to use a server a couple of weeks ago, but I have not noticed disconnections as a problem. I have seen other strange effects though, which I will try to report here soon.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

DrSuperGood

Does it appear that the building is constructed on all clients at the moment of the OoS? If it does then the OoS might be due to different internal ordering or if somehow different object state result in a different structure state.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report, and apologies for not having had a chance to look into this hitherto.

I will need some more detail before I am able to look into this, especially as loss of synchronisation issues are usually very hard to track down. Do you have a version of Pak.256 that you can download in which these multi-tile buildings are present? If so, are you able to describe the circumstances in which the server and client will lose synchronisation in this case? It would also be extremely helpful to know the answer to Dr. Supergood's question, as this will help to narrow down where the problem is occurring.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Phystam

The latest distribution pakset (ver 2.0.1) has already such a multitile building.
in please_remove_this_when_playing_network_game.pak . (very hopeless name ;)

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. Can anyone describe the circumstances in which the loss of synchronisation occurs whilst using this object?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Phystam

1. setup a server game (including the building).
2. try to connect to the server game as a client.
3. the client will be immediately disconnected.

You do not have to do anything special.

jamespetts

I did try a number of public player induced town growth cycles with the demo.sve, but this building was not constructed. It would be helpful if you could upload a saved game containing this building where I can investigate this issue. Thank you.

jamespetts

Can I ask at least in what year(s) that this building appears so that I can attempt to replicate this?

Phystam

It is available from 1961. However, you can build it by yourself, using the public player.

jamespetts

Quote from: Phystam on January 26, 2020, 04:58:19 PM
It is available from 1961. However, you can build it by yourself, using the public player.

Thank you. May I ask what the in-game name of the building is that I might find it?

prissi

In case this is not solved, I rewrote the multitile citybuilding code for standard because the rotation determination of that patch (and the way these buildings were selected) was not satisfying. I would expect the desync to occur in the selection of the multitile building.

Revisions r8847, and r8749 (and probably most changes in simcity.cc in between ...

Phystam

jamespetts

Quote from: Phystam on January 27, 2020, 05:31:27 AM
James, the name is "public apartment complex."

Thank you for that.

In light of Prissi's comment above and the fact that you are working on incorporating the changes from Standard (which is extremely helpful), I wonder whether you might look into incorporating the Standard implementation of multi-tile city buildings sooner than some of the other features and test whether this fixes the problem? This might well be an efficient way of proceeding, and would be very helpful.

Phystam

Unfortunately, prissi's bug fix is thousands of commit fast-forward, so the code is completely different.
I'm stepping one by one. I flew almost 1 year, and now it is r7665.
I am a time traveler from Standard to Extended^^

Phystam

I started a server game with the multi-tile city building, and I successfully connected to the server without desync.
Probably... it is solved.

Mariculous

Just a time traveller? Isn't extended even a parallel universe :D