News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Copyright Re: Using SketchUp for creating models?

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, April 16, 2009, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Zeno on April 16, 2009, 01:56:40 PM
I've never used SketchUp to make any model, thus I don't know if it has view/rotate and capturing functionalities; that's all you need to make a vehicle: rotate and take a photo.

Anyway, take care with ADC SketchUp models as many of them are copyrighted. The one in the screenshot seems to be a Philippine Airlines A340-300, made for the ADC competition and copyrighted by its author, so I wouldn't use that one. But I've seen many of them without reference to any license and I wonder wether they could/might be used or not.

Last time the issue of copyright and Google Sketchup came up, my research showed that to be released on Google Sketchup, the authors had to agree to a full release of their work; that therefore anything from there was usable.

Has that changed?

Zeno

I hadn't heard about what you say. And if that is the case, I doubt it has changed from then, as it follows the way that google uses to go. Anyway I'll gather a bit into it and see what I can found out.

Btw, my comment to fuzion_51 was only an advise due the message written by some authors of sketchup airplane models (see example).

fuzion_051

I think the issue of "copyrighted" models by the creators is some sort of preventing other sketchup users from re-uploading their works without stating who its original creators are. Me as a creator on sketchup, I don't mind much over copyrights there; I just basically give a note on those persons who upload their creations which include my own models, without giving out credits. (Basically, most modelers contact me if they'd like to use my creations as inclusions in there models).

With regards to Zeno's link, that model was designed by my brother and he tends to be tough over those who re-upload his works.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Hmm... Okay, so I rechecked Google's terms, and it appears they're still the same:

Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through the 3D Warehouse. You or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and copyright to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the 3D Warehouse and you are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate. By submitting, posting or displaying Content through the 3D Warehouse, you grant Google and its end users a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license to exercise the rights in the Content, as stated below:

1. to reproduce the Content;
   2. to create and reproduce derivative works of the Content;
   3. to display publicly and distribute copies of the Content;
   4. to display publicly and distribute copies of derivative works of the content.

So technically, the creator retains copyright, but anyone could freely use anything uploaded for Simutrans.

Zeno

You didn't let me begin to search it... Anyway, that's nice to hear that. Some material could be used to generate new objects for simutans :)

VS

Wow, nice! The license isn't very benevolent (and only one way trip just like gpl) but that should be enough for making Simutrans objects (given the license terms, sadly only non-official, that is).

Or, is Simutrans a geographical software? ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

PlayTrans2009

SketchUp is nice. But it is hard to use for creating addons for me. -.-

I'm using pak96.comic and pak128.Britain. Mostly pak96.comic.
"More money means lesser friendship." Reason: Selfish.