News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

livestock for narrow gauge

Started by Mariculous, October 12, 2019, 02:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Don't know if it's intended but I noticed that there are no livestock cars for narrow gauge up to at least 1950, whereas these do exist for road and rail vehicles for a long time.

Spenk009

I looked into this a little. We could adapt the nr 2 ton box van (available 1836 to 1948), to suit. Similar values all around, two livestock capacity. Check the attachment for a concept I've made up from the described box van.

I found a comment in the file for the standard gauge wagons questioning the necessity of livestock wagons in the 19th century. If it weren't for the prohibitive costs of laying road connections to industries, I would agree that back then no one would move their stock differently than driving it across the country (only unusual long trips for livestock could be helped, but then these distances are probably mainline jobs.

Vladki

Perhaps for the early times (and NG in general), livestock would be carried in cheaper open or caged waggons, like these:
https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/sites/default/files/styles/smg_carousel_zoom/public/854946512.jpg

Spenk009

Ah thanks for the image. I've made a copy of the .blend file available here

See if removing the ceiling helps achieve the look. I won't have another chance to look into this probably until next week.

Spenk009

I have modified the vehicle again to suit the looks more. My problem is however, that the resulting file is somewhat transparent. I'm having trouble tracing the fault here. If someone could check out the problem, here is the commit adding the file.

Mariculous

The upvote doesn't work, so I just want to thank you for your work.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your work on this, and apologies for not having had time to look at this hitherto.

I note that you are stuck with an issue relating to transparency; however, I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this: when I try to render this, the resulting files appear to have no more than the appropriate amount of transparency.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Note that transparent pixels are reduced to 256 colors (or 512 colors? IDK about detail) in simutrans.
Less transparent pixels may look worse in the game than non-transparent pixels.
You don't need to worry too much if it is  high transparency or black color such as shadow.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Spenk009

Thank you for the help. If the vehicle is fine in that setup, feel free to add it to the pakset. I can also make it and create a pull request, but James is certainly better acquainted with the balance requirements. I suspect I'll find little time until my return home in a week to work on things again.