News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Faster trams, how?

Started by 1993matias, November 05, 2019, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1993matias

Hi there,
It seems to me that trams are in practice limited to 35 kph regardless of track and tram capabilities, as trams drive by sight. Is there any way to make trams go faster without building 2000 signals on the city streets? Current year is 1935, and I am really considering demolishing my trams if it wasn't for the congestion trapping the buses...

EDIT: It's not made better that there are no tram tracks capable of more than 32 kph yet...

CK

It's probably because 1930s street running tramways didn't go faster than 20mph. Separated (and signalled) tramways were probably faster.

Mariculous

1993matias

Well... This is so ... Strange to me... Why is Britain so weird? Oh well, off to replace my trams and add even more congestion to my cities...

Thanks for your reply!

Mariculous

Yep, I just thought the same :D
However, I kind of like it for being different from what I would expect.

Rollmaterial

Trams are exempt from the drive by sight limit.

DrSuperGood

You can use block signals with trams. This allows them to operate in block signal modes and hence achieve higher speeds.

Mariculous

I guess that's what he meant by "building 2000 signals on the city streets"
However, currently this is the only way to accelerate trams faster than 35 km/h, given yor track supports these speeds for sure.

Most often I use token block signalling for tram tracks, also on bi directional sections of tracks.
Stop distance is often much shorter than the required block length. Using token block signalling will allow for longer blocks this requiring less signals.

1993matias

Seeing as this is a British pak, then I guess the lack of faster tram tracks is intentional. It certainly emulates the real world where trams were dismantled even before WW2 - at least in my game, there are half as many trams now as a year ago!
Quote from: Rollmaterial on November 05, 2019, 11:43:18 AM
Trams are exempt from the drive by sight limit.
Oh is that right? That will be very useful in the future when trams become popular again! Thanks!