News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[Bug] choose signals ignoring way constraints in some cases

Started by Mariculous, December 05, 2019, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

I just found a bug.
Trains guided to an alternative platform by a choose signal will only consider constraints of the first vehicle of the convoy, other constraints will be ignored.

This resulted in class 91/Mk4 trains entering overhead DC electrified tracks at a terminal platform and getting stuck there after reversal.
Could not reproduce this without choose signals nor without a constraintless car in the front, thus I highly expect that only this combination is affected.

Sidenote: Shouldn't extended mainain constraints on a per-convoy level, as we never care about constraints of individual vehicles?

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Are you able to upload a reproduction case for this? I should be most grateful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Sure,
load the attached save, and watch train (1) moving.
Affter reversing it will move towards towards the choose signal, where it will chose a platform that it should not be able to use.

Note the same does not seem to apply to any other kind of constraint-like restrictions e.g. no electrification at all or axle loads.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I believe that I have now fixed this; I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

freddyhayward

The new version won't build on my machine nor on the server. I get the error:
simconvoi.cc:8412: undefined reference to `vehicle_t::check_way_constraints(weg_t const&) const'
And after checking the relevant code I don't have a clue what the issue is.

Matthew

Quote from: freddyhayward on January 22, 2020, 05:32:26 AM
The new version won't build on my machine nor on the server. I get the error:
simconvoi.cc:8412: undefined reference to `vehicle_t::check_way_constraints(weg_t const&) const'
And after checking the relevant code I don't have a clue what the issue is.

I can't build either, the error message is:
===> LD  build/default/simutrans-extended
build/default/simconvoi.o: In function `convoi_t::check_way_constraints_of_all_vehicles(weg_t const&) const':
simconvoi.cc:(.text+0x110fb): undefined reference to `vehicle_t::check_way_constraints(weg_t const&) const'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
common.mk:21: recipe for target 'build/default/simutrans-extended' failed
make: *** [build/default/simutrans-extended] Error 1

All part of the fun of daily improvements and nightly builds!

P.S. Here is a Linux build as of the nightly of 20-21 January (#6bf376a8b), in case anybody wants it for a single-player game. It says it's #bea6f77, but since it does compile, I don't think that can be right.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

I think that the nightly server has managed to build the latest version, since the build date for the version available on the server is early this morning, and there is no logic in the automatic build scripts to revert to an earlier commit if the current build fails to compile.

Can I ask one of you to re-test this bug with the nightly binary from the server to confirm this?

I am afraid that the code appears to be entirely in order, suggesting that the problem may be with the compilers that you are using. May  I ask what versions of what compilers that you are each using?

Edit: I should note that the only slightly unusual thing about this method is its inline declaration. There are some compilers that do not like inline declaration for functions that are not defined, but only declared, in the header file; I suspect that the current "inline" modifier has no effect in any event. I will remove "inline"; I should be grateful if you could test whether that helps.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on January 22, 2020, 11:20:04 AM
I think that the nightly server has managed to build the latest version, since the build date for the version available on the server is early this morning, and there is no logic in the automatic build scripts to revert to an earlier commit if the current build fails to compile.

The build date that I see for both Linux and Windows builds on http://bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/ is early yesterday morning, 2020-01-21.

QuoteCan I ask one of you to re-test this bug with the nightly binary from the server to confirm this?

If I understand the bug correctly, then it is not fixed in that Bridgewater-Brunel build. Train 1 smoothly glides into a platform that does not have AC catenary, only Third Rail electrification.

QuoteI am afraid that the code appears to be entirely in order, suggesting that the problem may be with the compilers that you are using. May  I ask what versions of what compilers that you are each using?

I am using GCC (G++) 7.4.0.

QuoteEdit: I should note that the only slightly unusual thing about this method is its inline declaration. There are some compilers that do not like inline declaration for functions that are not defined, but only declared, in the header file; I suspect that the current "inline" modifier has no effect in any event. I will remove "inline"; I should be grateful if you could test whether that helps.

I will try to do this later today.

EDIT: When commit #fce367b is pulled, I can compile and run James' master branch. The bug also appears to be fixed: train 1 refuses to enter the platform without AC catenary.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for letting me know. I believe that I had misremembered to-day's date and thought that it was still the 21st; my apologies. Thank you for confirming both fixes.