News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

121.0 - Password in the network game

Started by Andarix, December 20, 2019, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andarix

Apparently the password is deleted from other players if you have entered the password for your own player and then calls up the finances via the open player list.

Today I can watch it directly. When connecting for the first time, the password was set for another player. After a disconnect and reconnect, the password was deleted.

I was the only player at the time.

Simutrans 121.0
pak64.german 0.120.4.1.3

Network game

DrSuperGood

How is the server configured? Ultimately the server is responsible for managing all passwords and it should only remove them if instructed to by the server administrator tool.

Be aware that the public service player can bypass all player passwords. Once playing as an unlocked public service player one can change into any other locked company and that company will unlock to that player. This is to allow server administrators control over other player companies when fixing or intervening without resetting their passwords. If the public service player is password locked then only players who know to the password will be able to use this feature.

Dwachs

Andarix, can you please write down the exact sequence of steps to reproduce this behavior? This will make it easier to debug.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Andarix

The Simutrans server uses the normal Windows program file from SF and was started normally under Windows 10. The game was then loaded as a server game.

The public player was not used.

I noticed before that the password was deleted. Even with my own player.

The server runs normally with an interface and the player list is open there.

Since I have several players active ( no password set ) as a start-up aid for potential teammates, I often look into the finances to check that they don't slip into the loss. If necessary, I also switch to these players.

That was not the case last time. I entered the password for my own player and then viewed the other player's finances with a password. Then there was a disconnect. After reconnecting my password was still set but the other player's password was gone.

It would be more helpful if there was an active confirmation whether a password should be deleted or not. If I use the public player and switch back to my own, I don't want to delete my password.

DrSuperGood

Quote from: Andarix on December 21, 2019, 11:17:07 AMIt would be more helpful if there was an active confirmation whether a password should be deleted or not. If I use the public player and switch back to my own, I don't want to delete my password.
It should not be possible for that action to delete passwords. The public player bypasses the password check. Effectively it acts as if you entered the correct password without knowing what that password is.

Servers can be set so that passwords automatically time out after some amount of game time if not recently used. This feature is intended to free up in use company slots that are not actively in use due to the owner having stopped using the company. Please confirm that the password removal observed is not a result of this.

Andarix

the following is set
unprotect_abandoned_player_months = 12

In the beginning, my own password was reset several times. I played alone and the server paused without a client.
In the meantime it doesn't seem to be reset anymore.

EDIT

Does the timer start as soon as you switch to another player or the input client ends the connection?

Andarix

It's a little strange, I can't send my own trains to the depot anymore.

Andarix

The subsequent change of unprotect_abandoned_player_months does not seem to be possible. Is this setting saved with the map?

It should also be noted that neither the public player nor the Simutrans player (at the top) will reset the password.